Dentron Clipperton L

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KN4VCT, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN4VCT

KN4VCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,
    I was hoping someone could just take a quick glance at my newly acquired amplifier, and tell me if the spot anything grossly alarming ?Any advice is highly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -Kn4vct

Attached Files:

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Weird looking wire splice in the upper left portion of image ending in 579016. I don't recall it looking like that.

Coil form overheated just above the 40 meter tap, as can be seen in two views including the one ending in 579013.

Looks like probably the original power supply filter capacitors, and if so they could be on their last leg as these amps are 35-40 years old.

Have you tried it out yet?

W1TRY likes this.
  3. KN4VCT

Thank you, and yes I thought so on the splice. No just got it today have not plugged it in yet kinda wanted to get a second opinion on it first. On the overheated section, how concerned should I be?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe not concerned at all; it appears a previous owner "abused" it a bit, or that wouldn't happen.

Although these are old, a lot of them are still on the air and can last a very long time if not abused.

5. KN4VCT

Ok that makes me feel a bit better. This is my first amplifier, I just don't want to plug it in and fry something.

6. KN4VCT

Ok I turned it on ! No smoke, here is a picture of the meter as well, but I don't here a relay click when shorting an rca cord? Not keying up I guess, is that a stock relay in the picture above?

Attached Files:

7. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KN4VCT

Thanks I will continue to read as much as possible, I'm very new at this so thankyou for all the patience! Is my meter reading a bit low ? And the tube s light up, and when shorting rca cord the transmit light comes on but no click from the relay?

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

In the picture, the "standby" switch isn't in "OPT" operate. The meter looks like it's set to read high voltage. If so, is it possible that the amp is wired for 240V and plugged into a 120V outlet? Unless I'm missing something (quite possible) it looks like the HV is 900 volts, which is about 1/2 of what it should be.

NQ1B likes this.
  10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ahh, coffee is working...
    Did the power cord have a plug on the end? Did you have to change it? What outlet is the amp plugged into now? (interested in figuring out if you're feeding it the voltage it's wired for. If so, the power supply may need some help).

Are you good with a soldering gun?