Dentron amplifier -is this explanation real?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K1OIK, Nov 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't necessarily take it like that. I mean, he's a ham and a school-teacher at least; maybe he is just busy doing other stuff and doesn't have the time. That's literally me, and I'm a computer nerd by day (ie, no kids during the day.)

I paid a sparky to redo this house wiring and run fresh 110/240 circuits upstairs to where the radios/computers live. Could I have done it? Yeah, I've been doing mains related things back in Australia (where it's even more regulated) with a sparky watching and checking, as required by law. Do I want to? Well, no. I'd rather have a sparky and their team out to do it properly and leverage their decades of experience knowing this turf. I don't know crap about knob/tube wiring and the gotchas in American homes cause I'm from a young country with newer house wiring.

Was it expensive? Well, sure. But I needed two new panels, all of the non-light knob/tube wiring ripped out and replaced with shielded romex, an updated drop from PG&E, I needed the drop itself brought up to code (which required holes cut in the roof and new piping), know where the GFCI outlets needed to go, etc, etc. But now I'm pretty sure nothing's going to catch on fire. I got a confused laugh when I asked them to put some ferrites on the lighting wiring because keying down on 40m/30m was causing my light circuit breaker to trip .. and now it doesn't.

This thread has been fun. I'm super amused by the "bolt in the light circuit, 105A drawn" comment. I've seen someone's house almost burn to the ground cause some non-electrical contractor managed to put a nail through a wire in the roof of someone's house, and it just smoldered for months and months until their smoke alarm started tripping. Luckily they were on holiday and didn't turn it off thinking it was broken - a fire truck came out and quickly figured out it was legit.

2. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya know, if someone brags about being a FCC licensed "broadcast engineer" one would expect a higher level of competence compared to a ham operator. That being said, ignoring the problem and selling the amp is akin to an ostrich hiding his head in the sand. Obviously if the amp was drawing enough current for the line voltage to sag
    under 1oo volts something would blow--a fuse, circuit breaker, etc. The FIRST thing I would be looking for is a bad neutral return on the circuit breaker panel or from
    the power pole. I wonder while that leg is dropping by 30 volts if another leg on the other phase is rising to 150 VAC or so.... just my opinion. Selling the amp is the
    fix???????

KP4SX and KS4W like this.