Dennis W7TFO. Please read

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, May 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Greetings to all.
    A few days ago, Dennis fell outside of his home in Maricopa AZ.
    He sustained a head injury which caused a fracture in his C1 & C2
    vertebrae. In other words, a broken neck due to whiplash from the fall.
    I was immediately notified by his wife Marsha who has since given me
    a day to day report on his condition and improvement... that's the good part.
    He was scheduled for today, to have a procedure done to improve the
    body's natural healing to the scar tissue build up, by adding a "bone paste" to
    enhance this effect. This will hopefully reduce the chances of having
    a fusion surgery. The plan is to go ahead with a Halo implant but, the next
    couple of days will determine which strategy the doctors agree to proceed
    with.
    I am very hopeful that Dennis will respond to treatment and recover to a
    degree that will allow normal living activity afterwards. At this point,
    I have no idea but there is this... according to the doctors, this type of injury
    usually results in paralysis or death. Both of which Dennis avoided which
    is miraculous.
    Please, post your thoughts here and I'll be sure to keep all of you informed.
    Dennis is among my best friends and is my sage in the radio art.
    I plan to do my best to help him in any way possible.
    Thank you.
    Billy N6YW

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, just talked to him via email a few weeks ago about a common interest BC topic.

Really sorry to hear about this. He is one of the most helpful and funny guys I know in the BC industry.

Please tell him Phil and Shelley are rooting for him and he will be in our prayers.

3. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Billy, thanks so much for sharing this. Dennis and Marsha are in my prayers. He just had a birthday four days ago. Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery! Dennis has always been a sharing, helpful gentleman and great fun to be with. I am sure God will watch over him.

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is terrible news. Dennis is an excellent resource. I pray that he has a full recovery.

5. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my, that is just awful news. A day does not go by that I don't pray for protection from the perils of a fall for myself or my wife. I am very glad that things are looking hopeful for Dennis as they could have been a lot worse as you said. It will be a long recovery, that is for sure. Natural healing is always best if possible, but fusions do work albeit with consequences. I will keep him in my prayers.

Thanks for letting us know Billy.

6. N6YW

Dennis update as per Marsha.

“The doctor said he came through it fine and it worked perfectly, and the decision to do it now was a wise one. He said when people wait and think too long about it, it often doesn't work and ultimately ends in having to fuse the bones anyway. They put the Halo back on while he was still under so he didn't have to feel the pain of that procedure again. He will be in that for 2-3 months, perhaps less depending on how he progresses. They have moved him back to his room about an hour ago but I haven't been able to talk to him yet. They had to make an a 1" incision across the front of his throat and went through alongside his larynx to do the procedure. Hopefully it will be all about healing from here, on. Love you.“
    Man this is great news!

KB2YJK, W8KHK, WB4TAA and 4 others like this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That's encouraging news. Thanks for the update. My gut feeling is that he'll pull through OK, but still, the road may be rough ahead. Here's wishing him the best.

One more red flag hitting home to all of us as we age, climb towers, work in the vicinity of HV, etc.

WD4ELG likes this.
  8. W2NBC

W2NBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dennis,

Your contributions and dedication to the AM community are noted and documented.. Thank you!

Hoping a speedy recovery, and confident you’ll beat this setback down !!

Onward to the big heavy iron in your future (and hopefully ours)!

Get well Bro!

9. N6YW

I’ve been texting with Dennis for the past two days. He’s in real good spirits and the medical staff at the hospital are very impressed with how his body has responded to treatment. Almost abnormally quick which is a good thing.
    Here’s a link to a video shot at Gary K6GLH where Dennis is interviewed at Gary’s house a few years ago.

W8KHK likes this.
  10. KC2ZFA

KC2ZFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Please pass to Dennis my Get Well OM !

I bought/traded a bunch of stuff with Dennis “the Iron Menace” some years ago.

I wish I had taken a video of our post lady as she was trying to bring in a Gates mod reactor that Dennis shipped to me in NJ in a ship-for-$10 USPS box :) It arrived intact !

Peter