ad: IACantenna-1

Denied membership in a "secret" amateur radio society!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA0USE, Feb 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a FT-817, but it is just a TOY!!! Don't think I can make any real contacts on it, but it hears good. Maybe if someone was across the street, I could work him!

So QRO is the way to go when you want to actually log contacts. I use my 2KW linear for almost ALL contacts, as I would be DIRT WEAK if I didn't.
    there are plenty of groups that cater to QRO!

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, haven't noticed that either, but often enough months will go by before I try to access files. It always works when I do, though. Messages seem to appear ok, but I don't try to correlate when they do with the origination time. The busy ones I get in digest form once a day anyway.

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If that isn't sarcasm it's utter nonsense.

I made lots and lots of contacts with my old Argonaut 509 which has less power out than an 817 - more like 2.5 - 3 watts. CW was best in those days and on a good day I couldn't tell I wasn't running 100W, and that on a folded dipole. SSB was more of a challenge but I certainly made contacts. Today's digital modes, and I don't mean just FT8 but ones that allow a real chat / rag chew if wanted, would do even better than CW.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, it’s just Pat,

I had a lot of fun, longer ago than I want to think about, with my Atlas 110. To this day, I regret letting the (now) ex insist I sell it.

A couple of years back, a friend bought an Argonaut 505 at a hamfest. He was promised that All Is Well, but it wasn’t. I ended up with it, got some germanium transistors in the AF circuit replaced, and used it for a couple of years. Had a blast, but when I had an opportunity to get my hands on an Omni VII, I let it go, along with a few other things, to raise funds. Very sorry to see it go, but it’s now in a good home.

Right now, I have a new-to-me Amp Supply Company ASR-1, which is a rebranded Argosy 525D. Just need to hook the keyer up to it, and eventually find a mike. It does look cute next to the Omni’s! And I have to get my uBITX assembled, which is on slate for Saturday afternoon.

QRP can be fun!

5. N2NH

N2NH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was pretty much my experience. No spam for awhile, then a flood that no amount of banning would end.

I had a group I started for newcomers to take exams in the NYC metro area and for everyone else to connect to sites which were dedicated to different modes of operating, or activities. I felt that it would act as a barrier to someone interested, especially someone new wanting to get licensed or just starting out to put up a approval page. So, after 500 ads for foreign brides, all banned, I figured this wasn't going to work and threw in the towel. Sorry to those who were trying to wade through all of that, but the links were for the most part still good. Having had the task of going thru all that spam was more trouble than it was worth and I felt that at that point the group was no longer helping anyone.

Still a very enjoyable thread.

6. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

WAIT!!!! 500 foreign brides????
    ohh, i have GOT to see this! where away?
    are they cheap? i mean, low cost? wait, that didn't sound right, either.
    lemme calm down a bit and i'll get back to you...

N2NH likes this.
  7. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

ok, i had a diet pepsi and calmed down a little. or maybe not- the caffeine.
    so, since the thread title said 'secret' are we talking homicidal female spies, like in the 007 films?
    shiver me timbers, what a thought. 500 of them? who would have thought there were that many in the world?
    well, i did have one who (truly) tried to chop me up with an axe while i was tied to a bed, but surely there can't be 499 more of them...can there? maybe she doesn't count. she was homicidal, but no spy. i'm STILL traumatised, and that was ~1992-'93.
    are those 500 women masons, illuminati, knights templar, shriners, water buffalos, odd fellows, hams (do they qsl?), what?
    there we go- the train is off the tracks again.

N2NH likes this.
  8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is the most fun you can have with your clothes still on. It is not for everyone but neither is SSB or FT8. It helps to know how to build an antenna and operate in the CW mode for total QRP enjoyment...some hams can't do either and that's ok. There are other modes for them to enjoy.

Life is too short to not be a radio amateur.

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Life is too short for QRO.

Operate longer using QRP.

:p

N6ALT and KB2SMS like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

train wreck 6.jpg

N2NH likes this.