ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Demonstration of WSJT-X, JT-Alert, and Ham Radio Deluxe Running FT8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The characteristics of FT8 ensures that the free message ability will not be expanded. The 72 bits can only carry so much information (13 characters in free text). Same goes for the need for synchronization.

However, a free message solution, including no need of time synchronization and strong weak signal properties, is well presented in another article on the front page of QRZ.com. Check out the Southgate News article on:
    LF/MF mode with Synchronous Decode
    http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/604781

The first link in Murray ZL1BPU's message contains an answer to FAQ #1, stating:
    "Please don't use WSQCall on HF. While it will work OK on 80 metres, there's no reason to use it when FSQCall is so much faster, has many more features, and was designed to work from 160 metres to 30 metres."

For a no-sync, weak signal QSO mode for HF, FSQCall is already in place. http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MFSK/FSQweb.htm
    FSQCall seems like a good alternative for those finding FT8 a little limited.

73 de Frode LA6VQ

K2NCC likes this.
  2. AC2MM

AC2MM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LA6VQ, I've been using QSORelay since buying HRD, and it works fine, no problems.
    HRD Tech Support told me I didn't need this, that I could use JTAlertX alone, but they couldn't tell me how to do it, which I understand.
    Using your instructions above, what do you set the IPV4 Address to? Mine is 127.0.0.1 currently.
    The log description is "Default HRD Logbook using a Microsoft Access Database"
    Log DSN Name is "HRD Logbook - Access."
    Did I miss a setting?

3. AC2MM

AC2MM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I got it.
    I disabled the QSL Relay, and it worked fine.
    Thanks for the help.

4. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

It required you learn something, think, use your key, and listen. I am happy for those who like the new passive participation modes. I guess I am just too old school, because I was bored out of my skull watching the initial video and shit it down after a 30-40 seconds.

I think those modes are very close to "amateur-less" communications that could be left alone in a contest. Flip the switch and come back after a few hours and collect your contest QSOs or WAS. If that is your thing, go for it. There is definitely mode diversity in ham radio! :)

5. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I found the video interesting from the standpoint I couldn't figure out how Tom got the video display working as he did. I cannot get the HRD logbook to "compress down" to how he has it. But, so be it.

I have two computers networked together in the shack, each with two displays so I can spread things out. For digital modes I run a Flex-6700 running SmartSDR on one computer. The second computer runs all WSJT-X/JTAlert/HRD Logbook stuff. I run the SmartSDR Cat on the 2nd computer and it links across the network to the 1st computer just fine. WSJT-X connects to that com port and reads the frequency data from Smart SDR CAT. DDUtil links my Flex info and routes it to HRD Logbook, which is the ONLY HRD program I have running (I do NOT run the HRD rig control program). JTAlert of course hooks up just fine with WSJT-X and logs all my contacts to HRD without any problem. I also run PstRotatorAz, which runs my Green Heron RT-21 rotor controller and links up my SteppIR controller reading the frequency to and from the controller to either HRD or WSJT-X, depending on which one I am tracking at the time (which depends on whether I have the Kenwood 990 or the Flex running, but if I have the Kenwood running that I do run the HRD rig control).

And no, I have NO IDEA how I got this all working, but I did. Well, maybe a little idea, but no one is allowed to touch my computers EVER! I will kill them first!

................Bob

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CW is a good thing to know, and a fun mode to operate. I'm not sure how it's going to help you get squared away with WSJT-X, HRD, sound cards, and rig interfaces, though. :)

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I stuck with HRD 5, the free version, until last fall, when I figured the new one was a safe bet (they were running a special on it, too). It's been great.