ad: HamHats-1

Demonstration of WSJT-X, JT-Alert, and Ham Radio Deluxe Running FT8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, Im totally lost, that video might as well be in Sanskrit.

I think I'll start with WSJT-X but I cant even find a list of radios supported and what is required to use them???

Carl

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Any (stable) radio. Simply connect audio in/out from your computer to mic/phones. You'll have to do things like changing bands manually.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My primary rig is an almost 30 year old TS-950SD which is supposed to have the PC controller built in. The PC is a Dell Vostro running an I5 with Win 7 Pro 64 and 8GB RAM so that should be fast enough.

I also have a K3S on long term loan but dont want to start something new on it until I figure the basic rig out first.

Carl

4. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm using the latest version of HRD, 6.4.0.794, not the old one. I could probably troubleshoot the issue and figure it out, but it's a matter of motivation. As noted, I've been losing interest in FT8 and using it less and less in the last week or so. When I do use it, that I have to merge the log with HRD doesn't bother me. So at this point in time I have no real motivation to devote the time to figuring out what the issue may be

5. KB2AHZ

KB2AHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just started using WSJT-X along with JTAlert last week. I already had been using the old free HRD found the set up very simple. They all work together seamlessly. Everything goes into the HRD log. Don't know how many contacts I have made but it is some where over 700 WAS WAC working on DXCC got a little HAM RADIO Fever in me Again. The only Digitial I have done before this was Easypal. Jump in head first very easy.

W4NNF likes this.
  6. AC2MM

AC2MM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the latest (paid) version of HRD, and I use it successfully with WSJT-X, and JTAlert-X, using QSO Relay. QSO Relay was simple to configure, and works as the go-between between JTAlert and the HRD Logbook. Keven from HRD got his to work without QSO Relay, but mine is running perfect, so I don't mess with what's working.

Once installed, QSO Relay starts with the computer and sits in the background. You can find it under your Windows Icons list of programs running.
    It works extremely smooth, if you would like my settings, just let me know which ones you need.

You can start WSJT-X with HRD, but I haven't configured that yet, I just start it myself, no big deal. I don't let DM-780 start on HRD boot-up because I don't know what digital area I'll be working in.

7. F1GSA

F1GSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Avec une antenne il aurait décoder les stations européennes HI ! 73

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any reasonably modern radio is supported. What you really just need is a decent, frequency stable transceiver.

What else? If you've got a modern rig like an IC7300 or 7610, there is a built in sound card in the rig. All you have to do is connect your rig to your computer with a USB cable and install a driver from the manufacturer of your radio. Both audio and rig control (CAT) commands will go over this one cable.

Older rig? You have two choices.

You can use your computer's built-in soundcard to interface to the rig. You can connect either to the mic jack on the rig front, or, if your radio has it, to a rear accessory connector pm the back. You'll use the speaker connection for audio from the rig. You will need a separate CAT (CI-V cable in Icom speak) to control the rig--change bands, etc., etc.

My preference is to use a separate interface box with a built-in sound card. Like the Rig Blaster Advantage or the Signalink. Some of these have CAT control built in so you won't need an additional calbe. It's better to have a separate sound card rather than use the one built into the PC. If nothing else, you won't have to worry about transmitting Windows sounds over the air. ;)

All of these setups will allow you to do other digital modes--RTTY, PSK31, etc., etc.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I almost installed QSO relay, but found all I needed was to enable logging to HRD, which worked perfectly.

10. N4ST

N4ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, QSO Relay was a great interim save, but has not been necessary for several months if using the latest HRD and JTAlert.

W4NNF likes this.
  11. N6JML

N6JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the demo, inspired me to bring it up on my Mac, and connect to my Kx3 using a USB Sound Card dongle - worked great!
    Ran WSPR all night on 1w/40m and had spots to/from CONUS, Antarctic, Australia/NZ, Japan, China.

Screenshot 2018-04-02 at 9.05.53 PM.png

Attached Files:

• rig.jpg
      rig.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  12. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder why HamApps.com doesn't show it works with HRD Log v6? Are they splitting up again?

From the website:
    • Automatic logging to these log types when QSO is logged in JT65-HF or WSJT-X
      • DXLab DXKeeper
      • ACLog
      • Log4OM
      • HRD Log V5
      • Standard ADIF 2.2 file
      • MixW CSV file

13. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TS-950 SDX is in the list of WSJT-X supported radios . I am not familiar with the differences between the SD and SDX models, but there may be a fair chance WSJT-X will work with the TS-950SD as well, without using HRD at all. WSJT-X works with a lot of models form the last decades.

73 de Frode LA6VQ

14. LA6VQ

You'll find the list of radios supported by WSJT-X in menus File - Settings - Radio - Rig, and the list of supported radios is very long. Consequently, you don't need HRD for CAT control. JTAlertX can be set up to log directly to HRD Logbook, and this works like a charm for both version 5 and 6 of HRD, as long as HRD Logbook is open. (HRD Logbook is a standalone application which does not need the rest of HRD to work.)

In JTAlertX, go to Settings - Manage Settings - Logging - HRD V5/V6 - Enable HRD V5/V6 Logging, select the appropriate "Version 6.3 or later" or "Version 5 or pre 6.3". Select the Log Name (>= V6.3) or DSN Name (< V6.3) for the HRD Logbook log where you want to log the FT8 QSOs. Click Save, and I guess it will work just fine.

If you have HRD running well with your radio, the video on the top shows how FT8 and logging can be done (even Sanskrit can be learned).

73 de Frode LA6VQ

K2NCC likes this.
  15. LA6VQ

Looks like best of friends to me, judging from how smoothly the software has co-operated for many months. The latest versions of both softwares (HRD 6.4.0.794 and JTAlertX 2.10.16) run just fine together. JTAlertX also works well for JTDX, which is based on WSJT-X v1.8, with logging and everything.

73 de Frode LA6VQ