Demo of Winlink to send e-mail using RF only

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB2MXV, Nov 8, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just can't believe a non-profit org would purposely place propaganda into the ECFS... of course, the FCC is used to propaganda, since they employ it more than most non-profits.

:rolleyes:

2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the speaker insures that the message is true, then each listener will decide on their own if it is:
    Heplful
    Inspiring
    Necessary
    or Kind

And it will usually be based on their own pre-conceived notions; biases; knowledge of the subject mater (or lack there of); and personal preferences. If your suggested Think Before You Speak rule would have to be satisfied for every potential listener then no one would ever be allowed to say anything. This response probably failed 4 out of 5 of the necessary criterion.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    N0DZQ and KK4NSF like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably for the same reason that universities do it.

KX4O and K8BZ like this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

It begs the question: Who needs Winlink when you have SAT phones? There are solutions like ITC Global who can deploy satellite equipment for wide spread phone service by Panasonic. The Feds have a complete cell system they can deploy quickly. AT&T has portable cell sites and switching equipment.

The cell companies are not without blame. They created an environment of people depending on wireless phones without building the systems more bulletproof. The FCC is on their cases now to build systems that rely less on those cells on wheels in an emergency to more resilient coverage.

At any rate, the need for Winlink is next to none.

5. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do winlink contacts count for DXCC?

And if so, can I go to DPRK and send something to myself on winlink, respond to myself, and confirm myself to have worked P5?

6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

The San Diego ARES group is tasked with providing back-up communications for hospitals in the event of a major disaster. We just completed a county-wide drill this week that occurred concurrently with two simulated mass shootings, one at Lego Land in the northern part of the county and another at an amphitheater venue in the southern portion of the county. We placed 65 operators in 30 different facilities, including the Naval Medical Center, Balboa, the US Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy, and Tijuana General Hospital in Mexico. Most of the facilties were equipped with WinLink and were prepared to send traffic via WinLink radio rather than the internet. Each location also had VHF/UHF voice capability. WinLink is a vital part of our operations.

Too many people assume WinLink, D-Star, DMR and Fusion are useless without the internet. That can't be farther from the truth. WinLink operators can send and receive traffic via a radio mail server (on HF) making Winlink independent of the internet. The digital voice modes can function as a viable replacement for analog voice when conditions make analog communications difficult or impossible. If the internet is down but the digital repeaters are still operating, digital voice is superior to analog. A good example is the differences I see between analog and digital from my home in San Diego. I can get a clear signal on a 5W DMR HT from inside the house to a repeater when I'm unable to hit an analog repeater in the same location with a 50W radio and an external antenna.

WQ6N likes this.
  7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

ARSFI keeps repeating the same thing with no actual documented proof of messages handled by Winlink during an event. If the data is ever forthcoming it's a safe bet that HF wasn't used to the extent they would have you believe.
    PR is a good example, Pactor 4 STA issued, and zero messages handled by amateurs with that mode from PR back to the mainland.

If you could provide some actual emergency messages handled by Winlink during an event, in volume, it would help your case. I can provide some really interesting WInlink messages from the MX fires last year, and even a more recent one with an attached ICS213 request for a gallon of Edy's Ice Cream.........no mention of sprinkles or nuts.

8. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Gosh, I really hate to get in to this, one way or another ... BUT when we sailed around the world 20 years ago, there were (and likely still are) vast areas of the southern South Pacific ocean that are not served by any satellite service, and Winlink came in very handy there.

9. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

False. From the Iridium website:

Iridium service is 100% global, even on the north and south poles. It does this by using a large number of LEO (Low Earth Orbit) satellites that are moving across the sky at 17,000 mph (27,000k kph). Your Iridium satellite phone connects with these LEO satellites for communication.

W4RAV and K0IDT like this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

So was the commercial HF email system you should have bought...