Demo of Winlink to send e-mail using RF only

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB2MXV, Nov 8, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB2MXV

KB2MXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W4RAV and DL6MAA like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

More Winlink propaganda. Wow! Isn’t Winlink neato?

NL7W, K0IDT, KK4NSF and 1 other person like this.
  3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Had an 80m Winlink station running in New England 24/7 for 2 years. It had ARDOP, Winmor, Pactor III, and VARA.

I ran training at the local ARES Academy to try and help people but virtually no one took the time to understand how to use it correctly.

I even tried to run an exercise which would have cost ops about 3 minutes a month and wound up with < 1% participation rate.

It was more trouble then it was worth so I shut it down. Yeah - neato. That was part of what turned ARES into crap for me. :eek:

K0IDT, K8BZ and KK4NSF like this.
  4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

It is neato. In proper perspective. :)

But we humans seem to easily fall in love with something and view competing POVs as "sub-standard".

Even in our own hobby, just ask any CW, vintage radio, digital-mode, AM, e-comms (ad nauseum) super-fan.

Heck, folks will gladly tell you every political party but theirs is evil.

Spewing propaganda is kinda like a religion.
    We seem to need a faith in something, and someone to oppose, in order to validate our beliefs and make ourselves feel superior.
    (That's why mentally/emotionally/physically sick people hang out with sicker people. It makes them feel healthier than their friends.)

Before you comment on someone's opinion;
    Ask yourself if the disagreement is productive, or just to prop up your ego?

thinkmeme001.JPG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have felt similar with my own local experiences with ARES/RACES.

Every time they had a test event, it was a clusterf*ck. SO MANY errors and huge sense of disarray.

That alone made me give up on further participation. I'm better prepared on my own than as a group.

IMO, it's better to have an excellent guide for procedures. Something that an even an idiot could follow if a real emergency occurs.

One can at least hope folks can follow well written instructions.

People just aren't going to properly prepare for something they feel as being unlikely.

If you doubt that, how many of you have at least two weeks of food, water, and other essentials handy for the whole family?
    (Besides various staples, I have at least a month's supply of food using WISE products; example #ad)

Don't believe me? Just ask PGE customers. (SOURCE)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    NL7W, K0IDT, K8BZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We were fortunate enough to be able to locate a UHF repeater on a good spot in our town - easy coverage for the fire house, police station, and local hams.

Luckily we have a pretty good stand alone em-com system, so there is little need, locally anyway, for much else. I do exercise a good HF link to the state EOC.

You're right though - practice is everything.

7. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the post. A little refresher is always a good thing.

As far as precision prep, heck, we can't even get drivers to slow down when approaching a traffic signal showing "yellow". Maybe, we need a winking contest weekend. No, no, I was just joking.......

ND6M likes this.
  8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

You know.... WINLINK / DMR / D-Star and similar protocols are the primary reason that I backed away from ARES. By pushing these sort of technologies, the EM-COM community automatically cuts down the potential number of participants in their programs.

For a few years I was the EM-COM coordinator for our local club, and heard from a lot of folks, including EM professionals who felt that by adopting these sort of things, ARES was building vulnerabilities into their systems and urged a return to a system where the equipment / protocols were neither propriatary nor Internet dependent. I tend to agree with them..... not because I dislike the new systems. Some of them are great. BUT an emergency system needs to be self sufficient, simple, and robust. As we learned in Panama City, The California Wildfires and in the Bahamas, both cell phones and the Internet can quite easily be destroyed locally, rendering the EM-COMs that depend or partially depend on them to be useless.

Dave
    KK4NSF

NL7W, K0IDT and K8BZ like this.
  9. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope everyone saw the VERY important emergency traffic demo provided to the FCC on November 5th, about the ability of Winlink and Emcomm in the Cali fires, back on October 26th:

4. Current Situation Summary:
    Winds have diminished and area wild land fires are contained.
    No info at this time on fires further south into BAJA CA MX
    Temperatures have dropped, but will rise again during the week.
    No power issues or public communication issues at this time.

See ARSFI Demo Txt and CA Disaster traffic

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/filings?q=rm\-11831&sort=date_disseminated,DESC

:rolleyes:

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened to this a couple of times to ensure I was hearing the details correctly.

I also compared the actual ON AIR transmissions with what is being told to the FCC in this document https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1106269112612/ARSFI FCC Ex Parte 11052019.pdf that presents (false) information in the EX Parte filing.

Notice that this document states "...Winlink stations always provide CW (Morse code) ID..."

The actual Tx signal of KG2MXV was not audible in the video, I wonder why the "Monitor" function was switched off , If KG2MXV wanted to demonstrate the actual transmission sequence it should have been operational and audible.

I could hear the KQ4ET signal clearly.

I listened carefully to this video, particularly at about 16:34 when KB2MXV and KQ4ET concluded the e-mail exchange and stopped transmitting,

KQ4ET did not ID in CW as stated in the written document.