ad: LZQSLprint-1

Dementia Action and Awareness Weeks. Special Event Stations.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MM0NQY, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. MM0NQY

MM0NQY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I am an Amateur Radio Operator Based in the Shetland Islands. Because of personal circumstances I am aware of the difficulties faced by people affected by Dementia. I have set up two special event radio stations, Call Sign GB0DAW, Dementia Action Week, run by the Alzhiemer’s Society, 20th- 26th May and GB2DAW, Dementia Awareness Week, run by Alzheimer’s Scotland, 3rd-9th June, to contact other Amateur Radio Operators throughout the world to raise awareness of dementia. I feel that there must be thousands of operators who are affected by dementia and have lost confidence to go on air, but with help from their local Amateur Radio Club and the patience of other operators they can continue with their hobby. The end result will hopefully be something like a world wide Net being organised, once or twice a week, where operators with dementia could talk to each other.
    My wife, MM6YLO, is unfortunately affected with dementia and is a bit intimidated to go on the air because she is slower picking up callsigns and responding to questions. With help from me to operate the transciever and an understanding operator at the other station she can continue carry on making contacts. P1030399 Scotland.jpg

Both these event stations will be run from my QTH in the Shetland Islands, Scotland. We will transmit on varying bands and frequencies depending on conditions and time of day.

Peter MM0NQY

KK6BXO, WU8Y, W1YW and 1 other person like this.