Define Homebrew

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC4UMO, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

New Antenna Sub-Forum

I've created a sub-forum specifically for Antenna Design & Construction.

Also, I would agree that kits qualify as 'homebrew'.

Perhaps an easy definition for homebrew might be "anything requiring a soldering iron" to assemble.

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so now that we know what defines homebrew I have another question.
    If we have a question concerning a homebrew project would we ask it here rather than in the Q&A section?

Thank you

73 de kb3laz

3. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea!
    Thanks Fred :D

4. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe, a soldering iron smaller than 100W. :D Though even then there would be exceptions. ;)

kb3laz's question on questions is reasonable. Surely a question arising from something discussed here is definitely on topic here; a more general question might be better in the Q&A thread, where it would get a wider audience. But a tricky question here might provoke a very good homebrew discussion and maybe a few projects.

How long is a piece of string?

5. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that's the idea.

6. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, thank you.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

With one stipulation

I would definitely invite kitbuilders aboard with ONE stipulation. The kitbuilder must provide an essay describing how the circuit works or other evidence that he/she/it really understands the thing.

Fair enough?

:)

eric

8. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we should be very careful about how many hurdles we set for posting in homebrew, especially if we want to use it as one of the conduits for "setting the hook" in new hams.

Homebrewing involves a number of different skill sets; just sitting here I can think of "electronics theory", "construction techniques", "testing and troubleshooting", and "creative scavenging". The best homebrewers are familiar with all four, and yet beginners may be struggling with all of them at once.

I'd be very reluctant to discourage someone from posting pictures of their first kit in this forum, even if they learned nothing more than which end of the iron to grab or a shaky mastery of the color code. Everyone deserves a pat on the back for their first, second, or even third project, for grabbing the nettle if for nothing else. Some might call this being soft, but I'd prefer to think of it as being simply friendly.

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah....I guess you're right. We'll just give extra credit for the essay. :)

eric

10. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Homebrew is in the eye of the beholder

I am including a picture of something I believe is "homebrew", which I made quite a few years ago. ;) It is a 6 meter amplifier & 28 volts power supply to run it. The power supply uses a PNP pass transistor controlled by an Op-Amp so that the power supply "dropout" is less than 0.3 volts. ;) The six meter power transistor is an AM aircraft device BLW78. The output power is 35 watts CW & 70 watts PEP!

My opinion is "kits" are also homebrew, since many of them don't always work as advertised!

Frank:)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.