Define Homebrew

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC4UMO, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Pictures, or it didn't happen. ;)

2. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you asking for opinion, or what's on topic? I can tell you that everyone has an opinion, but well, that doesn't mean much. What's "real" homebrew and what isn't doesn't have much bearing here. If you've built it and want to discuss it, show us pictures of it, ask questions about it, improve it, whatever, then it's on topic.

I doubt very many hams really design stuff and I know that almost none start building by doing that. Most start with kits or building the designs of others.

3. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. K7FE

K7FE QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am of the opinion that antennas should not be included in this forum. My concern is that so many people build/modify antennas that it would dilute other homebrew projects.

If this forum is well received, then perhaps we could add a forum on antennas which would include all facets of antennas. What to buy, build or modify or "this is how I did it" posts.

What do you think?

Terry, K7FE

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

If antenna related discussions are discouraged or prohibited altogether, one could argue that you may be killing the rose on the stem.

It's a Catch-22 situation.

Discouraging the "How long is a dipole for 7 MHz"? stuff is an idea worthy of consideration but some participants might welcome a place where we can present advanced antenna and matching network concepts, projects and the like. I'm in the process of building a remoted, embedded U-controller-based tuner and rig interface; all of my own design. This will be operated in conjunction with a set of 160-80-40M slopers; others might find some (or all) of the content applicable to their own endeavors.

6. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why I called them a "gray area", which I hope was clear that I meant that it could be revisited. I don't want to see antenna topics dilute the homebrew topics,especially threads that don't involve significant construction.

I would like to hear what some of the regular contributers to the DIY threads think about it.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say all of the above. If you didn't buy it; it's homebrew in my book.

(And sometimes even if you did...if someone else homebrewededed it!)

eric

8. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think my question is answered.

Thanks all

9. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric, do you mean "if you bought it" meaning as "purchased a kit"???

I surely enjoy building things, but don't really have the knowledge to actually design from scratch - well, I guess the last couple of power supplies I build were sorta from scratch - even to the point of building the PCB for the LM-723 chip.....

BUT the SmallWonderLabs PSK20 rig I just finished is certainly built from a "purchased" kit. Would it fit?

Please understand, I'm not trying to stir the pot, just looking for guidance.

73 de Ken H.

10. KC0WTS

KC0WTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the official formula is if you bought it when it was exactly 40 degrees out on a sunny day with the wind blowing slightly from the left. Then the kit counts as homebrew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.