Define Homebrew

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC4UMO, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

So is this forum just for advanced radio projects?
    Are other things allowed like:
    Amplifiers
    Antennas
    Control devices
    Mods to better performance
    ect.

It would be nice to know what is allowed.

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you building? Let's talk about it.

3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

For one thing:

A 5-band "quagi" antenna whose quad element is its director assembly, rather than the reflector - as has been done in 'traditional' implementations.

Looking for good info on trap design - if all else fails I'll modify a commercial part but I would prefer to build my own. Anyone have links? Sadly, Cebik's old website did not.

4. WS2L

WS2L Guest

IMHO iIf you are building something ham radio related other than something you bought that needs assembly such as an antenna then it is considered homebrew. Doesn't matter if it is an antenna, amp or any other item as long as you are the one building it.

5. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good question. Personally, it's pretty clear to me what is and what isn't homebrew, but, I realize that other people may see things a bit differently. So here's my perspective for this forum but by no means is my word final and I would welcome any feedback from QRZ members.

In simple terms if it involves electronics and radio and you build it yourself then it is homebrew. If it involves modifications to commercial radio gear then it belongs in the mods forum. What I think is an exception to this is modifications to test equipment and, at least for now, I would not consider that off topic.

To quote Frank Harris, K0IYE, feel free to discuss anything "from crystal sets to sideband." So certainly beginner projects as well as advanced and accessories as well as full blown transceivers are all welcome.

Antennas are a bit of a gray area but I think that most antenna "construction" topics are probably on topic. Kits are also a bit of a gray area but also at this point any technical discussion about kits is welcome as a topic. Use common sense here. K3 mods, for example, probably belong in the mods area.

Since the forum is new, and being a QRZ moderator is a new experience for me, then expect things to evolve a bit. By all means, however, please discuss and contribute at whatever level you feel comfortable with. Everyone who builds, wants to build, or wants to discuss building is welcome to contribute.

6. AB8RO

What I'm building currently is "borderline" on topic, hehe! I've just finished rebuilding a Magnatone 50s vintage champ clone tube guitar amp.

I rebuilt it with a fender tweed princeton circuit, man does it sound good now. It's like having a 50s fender except it has a very hip "mother of toilet seat" finish.

And to keep this on topic, I'm building a 20 meter receiver around the MC13136 chip. Mostly it's just an exercise project to learn a bit about building receivers as I've never built a superhet before now.

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds fair. Please consult with the other moderators (especially those in charge of the 'Mods' forum) then ask them to do something about the S/N ratio of said forum, especially when it comes to the ever-present "I wanna open up the TX on my blah, blah..." and I'll be GLAD to post mod and construction articles there. Otherwise, they'll simply be lost in the noise. IMHO, that area has severely lost its focus.

8. AB8RO

I know where you're coming from on that John. That's one of the reasons I asked for this forum to separate it from that activity. What I don't want, however, is for that activity to clutter up this forum and allowing some mods but not others will almost certainly generate friction.

9. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood completely.

I posted commentary to that effect in one of the "Mod" threads in T&O; here's hoping the forum returns to what it should be.

Looking forward to participating in this one...

10. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great responses guys! That is what I was wanting to see. This way it helps people know what to think about when they post here.

I would think that building a (say) 3 element yagi from a plan is homebrew, but at the same time is pretty cut and dry. Since the thing is already tried and true. Not really considered built from scratch?

But something like my 70cm circular polarized sat antenna. It was not really build from a plan but from a month of research. Would that be considered true homebrew?

Again thanks for the great comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.