ad: LZQSLprint-1

Declining enrollment within the hobby.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Joseph M Fradl KC8NUP writes:

Good day to all within ham radio land. I'd like to introduce myself to the ham community first then explain my position second if you will indulge me.

I'm 39 years old. I've lived in Dayton most of my life and until a year and a half ago had little understanding of ham radio other than traffic jams every hamvention. Like most uninformed persons I equated ham radio with "CB" and its ilk. It wasn't until I ment a ham and we became friends that I learned how different these two worlds are supposed to be...

Imagine my surprise when I learned that all hams take tests for each class of license from the (at the time) novice thru extra. And that at each stage it becomes more difficult to gain the class, ie: additional morse code, and added knowledge of the hobby. Though not sure at the time why folks would do such a thing, I listened and learned. I discovered that ham radio prided itself on being friendlier and more, (for lack of a better word), professional than "CB" radio and was therefore worth the effort.

Well, after listening on my friends rig for a few months it seemed that what they were saying was true. Folks in the ham radio community did seem much friendlier and above the antics of the "CB" world. So, I decided to obtain my license last Febuary and became a ham. Buying my first rig I jumped feet first into the hobby, expecting to enjoy myself and learn alot. I did learn alot.

My first hint of trouble began rather innocently with noticing jammers on area frequencies when selected people were having a QSO. This quicking mushroomed into behind the scenes phone calls, emails, inuendo, and rumors running from all sides. Finally tiring of this I switched frequencies. This worked for a few months. Then it began again with diffrent people for the most part. Now, you may ask, who whould do this? Was it new hams unfamiliar with the code of behavior? Was it just some fringe types whom had a license but were hanging on to it by a thread? No, most of the back biting and throat cutting came from experienced hams respected by the community.

I find this behavior very detrimental to our hobby and quite frankly no better than the "CB". I have since found a place without the back biting and underhandedness thus far and I hope it remains that way. A little used repeater, and a simplex frequency or two.

Ladies and gentlemen of the ham community, how can we expect to grow if we practice this sort of behavior? If you will recall, Mr. Hollingsworth spoke of radio rage on the HF frequencies and its effect on the hobby. Is the behavior on any frequency in the ham bands any better then what each of us practice ourselves?

Just the thoughts of a recent ham, who perhaps should start thinking of a more honest hobby. Say piracy, then at least, you know the true nature of the beast.

Joseph M Fradl

KC8NUP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.