Declined

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jul 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That just plain sucks.

KV4PD and WZ7U like this.
  2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything I've read says it will be mostly unnoticeable here on the ground. Might mess up the ionosphere.

VE3OIJ likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, seriously, that IS what I meant. The maps are STILL accurate (barring major seismic events) but the Magnetic correction needs to be made. At current $8-$10 each, even with an REI CO-OP rebate at the end of the year (and I have over a dozen) I can't afford to replace them. And the USGS doesn't update their maps all that often, either. But thanks.

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Left over from my full time telecommunications consulting days, I have going on 200 of the 7.5-minute topographic (and a few 15-minute) maps. I sure don't want to have to replace them!

Also have a handheld barometer / altimeter that was used to determine the height above mean sea level for tower sites, etc. The stated range on the device is -2300-feet to 13,800-feet A.M.S.L. Now, I don't know anywhere that the -2300-feet would come in handy except, maybe, in some deep mine and then I don't know how it work actually operate!

Glen, K9STH

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

My understanding is that we will temporarily lose protection against gamma rays and solar winds. A major disruption for life on Earth for an extended time.

6. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the plugged in World, that would cause major devastation with power grids going out, satellites going kaput and computer networks reduced to rubble. If the Earth's Magnet field doesn't fire up in about 5 days after the poles flip, the Earth's waters will start to evaporate due to the solar winds. Then case closed, I reckon.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that won't buff out. Or caused by SUV's.

8. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Mars II.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the atmosphere that protects against those things, not the magnetic field.

These flips happen irregularly, very roughly every 400,000 yrs. The fact that nothing in particular happens when they do is a pretty good sign that nothing will continue to happen.

Of course, we've never had one in technological times, so it's possible that we'd see effects like a big solar storm. But that's all.

VE3OIJ likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page