Declined

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jul 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

For now. :D

I'm patiently waiting for a day when c is changed from a constant to a function. ;)

2. W5KUL

W5KUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the problem with the so-called "constant" c. If you go back and look at old physics reference books and college textbooks before c was pegged it was found that c did change by a few percentage points every time it was measured. Not huge changes, but more than could be accounted for by experimental error. The biochemist Rupert Sheldrake points this out in several of his lectures, and others have as well...

"On October 20, 1983 the meter was redefined again. The definition states that the meter is the length of the path traveled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second. The speed of light is

c = 299,792,458 m/s

The second is determined to an uncertainty, U = 1 part in 1014 by the Cesium clock. The General Conference made the iodine stabilized Helium-Neon laser a recommended radiation for realizing the meter at this time. The wavelength of this laser is

λHeNe = 632.99139822 nm

with an estimated relative standard uncertainty (U) of ± 2.5 x 10−11."

That's great... define C based on the Cesium clock's "seconds", then define the length of a meter in terms of the Cesium atom, and Viola! The speed of light stops changing because now you have a circularly defined constant.

The fact is, we really don't know, and modern science does not seem interested in checking if these constants do change... I suspect that they do, but very very slowly.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

To have been "declined, " does that mean you were once "clined?:confused:"
    Yes, charts and maps DO need to be updated periodically. I doubt my TOPO maps bought 20-30 years ago are anywhere near accurate in regards to current magnetic headings. (But that can be fixed easily; the maps are still accurate and serviceable.)

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, is "C" a variable constant?:confused:

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We may have to redefine "vacuum." :)

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that Maxwell was too busy playing with silver hammers to worry about equations...
    Speaking of which, Why does I always equal a minus one in "Higher Math"?

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Just alter the declination value on the compass and you're good to go. Right?

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes it means "Hell No"
    Just ask Paul Thorn.

9. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

And it will not be an over-night event either.

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I couldn't find any so I tried my hand at a few:
    1. Q: What type cruise ships do flat earther women take their rich husbands on? A: Flatliners
    2. Q: What is the mating call of flat earthers? A: Dueling Banjos.
    3. Q: How fast are you going when you past the end of the flat earth? A: Flat out.
    4. Q: How many fake news journalists does it take for full coverage of the flat earth? A: 100 if you slice them thin enough.
    5. Q: Why do flat earthers wear Depends? A: So they don't crap their pants when they get near the edge.
    6. Q: What did the husband bring home from shopping for his flat earth wife? A: A lift bra.
    7. Q: What do you get when you cross a flat earther with a jouster? A: Flatulance
    8. Q: Why did the chicken cross the flat earth? A: To fall off the other side
    9. Q: If we all live on the top side of the flat earth, who lives on the other side? A: Bats and Count Dracula
    10. Q: Who was the first flat earth man in space? A: A lying husband who just kept digging his hole deeper and deeper.
    11. Q: How did the flat earth husband die? His fat wife fell flat on his face.
    12. Q: Why are there no gay zombies on the flat earth? They all try to dig out by going down.
    13. Q: What kind of cats make the best flat earth pets? A: Road kill cats.
    14. Q: How do men score by explaining the flat earth to women? A: Flattery will get you everywhere.
    15. Q: Why do flat earth referees never flip a coin? You can't flip a coin with heads on one side and nothing on the other.
    16. Q: What is the flat earther's favorite breakfast? A fried egg, a pancake, flat steak, and an onion ring.
    17. Q: How did the flat earther get lost? He went into a round about and couldn't think his way out.
    blob.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018