Decided to skip the tower on a trailer

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB8VUL, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KB8VUL

KB8VUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I had been looking at putting together a tower mounted on a trailer like the ones that US towers sell. And of course, like most things that are odd and rare, the store bought ones are pricey.

I recently took an aluminum 50 foot free standing tower for the son of a silent key in town. It had been mounted in a fold over mount that had failed laying the tower against the side of his house.

I decided after giving alot of consideration to just pouring a foundation for it or building a trailer for it that instead I would mount it on the goose-neck plate in my old one ton Chevy.

It's actually very light and can be stood up by one person.

Since it will come apart easily, the tower can be stowed in the bed of the truck and taken to a field day site or other location and be deployed in about an hour.

2. KB8VUL

KB8VUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, this didn't go as planned.

I had 3 sections up with one hand, it would fold up and go vertical without issue. I put the top section, a 13-B2 and a rotor in the mix.
    I got about as much chance of pushing this up as I do of picking up the front end of the truck.

Considering a pole up front to run a winch cable over, but I'm not sure how the tower will stand up to being winched. It's an aluminium tower that is light duty and putting all the lift stress in one point may cause a catastrophic failure of the tower. I don't need that.

Back to the drawing board.

3. W6ORC

W6ORC Ham Member QRZ Page

I know its not as fancy...

but one of my projects at the moment is installing a portable antenna system in my truck. I want to start operating portable on the weekends from the beach, a park or in the hills and have a quick and easy set up. My idea is to get a metal umbrella base and bolt it down to the bed of my truck, at the very least make sure I've got a good ground to the vehicle. I want to mount it in the middle of the bed as close to the tail gate as I can, that way I can drop the tail gate and have a nice bench. Anyway, the idea is to have the one umbrella base in the bed of the truck which I can place my 4' sections of fiberglass mil. surplus poles into and have two additional bases I can place elsewhere for the ends of my wire antenna (I'll probably use a G5RV). I plan on having a battery in the bed of the truck for a close and easy power source. I figure once I have everything ready to go I could have a station set up in as little as 5 minutes, just about anywhere I am at the moment. Feel free to improve on my idea, that's what hams are for, right?

Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.