Decent laptop for digital work

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W2KS, Jul 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The reason I asked is, USB cables all look the same, but often, they are not through-wired, not all pins active. For CAT and audio, data control, they need more pins than the cables that may just be for charging things. I've had consistently good luck with the TrippLite cables as they are made for health monitoring of a UPS system, therefore are wired for data comms. Also many of theirs come with ferrites on them, which is always a welcome thing for hams. Amazon has the TrippLite cables, just be sure they have the proper generation of connectors, USB 2.0 vs 3, USB A and B etc.

2. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I may have to get the TrippLite cable. I just received the 3 in a pack from Amazon. I will try one and see. The others may have been for charge only but everyone that the parrot chewed up had 4 wires in them so I just assumed....!

3. KI4ZUQ

Just tried with new usb cable sam-o, same-o. Same with usb cable unplugged. Will order Tripp Lite. Cheeze, what a hassle! Thing that really GETS me is those youtube gurus just whipping it together and everything works! That's worse than deep south directions when they say, "ya cain't miss it!"

4. KI4ZUQ

Will WSJT-X work on Windows 8 with outdated drivers? That last pc update that interrupted what I was doing to tell/sell me an update to Win 8.1 for 30 bucks! This is one of the MAIN REASONS that laptop and the one before been sittin' on the shelf for the last 4-5 years! Basic question: will JT's program run on Win 8? Is that my problem?

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good thinking, OM. Macs are nice and all that, but Windows is still far ahead in the amateur radio software game.

Trot down to BestBuy and look at a nice Lenovo laptop...one with a solid state disk drive would be best. They are reasonably priced, and perfect for digital. In fact, that's just what we used for our FD digital station this year...Lenovo lappie, inexpensive 20-inch monitor from Amazon (so we could have WSJT-X on one screen and the log on another, my old IC-7200, and a little Alinco switching power supply. The computer worked very well indeed and it was a nice portable station. :)

6. KI4ZUQ

So I have Dell that meets all the WSJT-X requirements with Windows 8 that won't pass the test tx test, goes into hamlib i/o error, reconfigure loop drive me nuts won't go away. Unable to control an RS-918 mcHF clone SDR transceiver but decodes well. Waiting upon another usb cord to see if that is the problem. Looked at Lenovo laps and found one at less than 300 bucks that filled the spec bill as well as an Acer in that price range. Both had Win 10 and usb 3.0 ports which have been determined are compatible with usb 2.0 cables to match the B end mini usb. Now I can upgrade the old Dell to Win 8.1 or even 10 for less than 300 USD. But is that my problem?

7. W4NNF

Hamlib, I recall, is now included in the WSJT-X package. Make sure you've got the latest WSJT-X is the starting place. Cable for CAT control is another suspect. Most suspect? Does Hamlib really support your rig? Hope that's not the problem. Does it have a selection for your rig, or do you set it to something else? My guess is that neither PC nor o/s is the problem. Do you have another rig you can try with the computer?

8. KI4ZUQ

Had the latest WSJT-X in then loaded the erlier version since others had success with that. The Yaseu FT-817 is supposed to be similar to the RS-918 but does something need to be cloned? I have watched several youtubes on this and all the "gurus" on there seem to be saying different things on how to do this.
    One thing I have determined for decode it makes little if any difference what radio you have, enter in it decodes. It's the CAT that is picky.

By the way, THANK YOU for responding! You the first on this! I be a dinosaur with computer, old and cranky, lose patience with conflicting information...Thanks, again!

9. W4NNF

Yeah, decode is just getting the sound level right. As far as your rig, what I've been told is that it, yeah, should work as "FT-817"...other than double checking that you stay in digital mode on the rig...MAKE SURE "MODE" IS UNCHECKED in the WSJT-X setup (that will kick you right out of digital mode on the rig),...I would play around with baud rate settings.

10. KI4ZUQ

So use "NONE" is the only thing that is checked in MODE, right?