Decent laptop for digital work

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W2KS, Jul 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think when I was trying to get FLrig to interface with WSJT-X since RS-918 is not on the transceiver list. You have to plug in Yaseu FT-817 in FLrig and then flrig into WSJT-X to get it to work on tx but it does not.

2. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I somehow didn’t mention that fldigi will run on your Mac. Try using fldigi. http://www.w1hkj.com/

3. W2KS

W2KS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Chris.

4. KI4ZUQ

It actually is SETTINGS on WSJT-X toolbar.

5. KI4ZUQ

SETTINGS is found in FILE on the tool bar...

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 5 year old ASUS with Winders 10 which works splendidly. I use the internal sound card..which actually works better than Signalink.

7. KI4ZUQ

Well, I have been around the frustrating horn with this crap. WSJT-X works great on decode but will NOT control the RS-918. Have reloaded 2.1.2 version and get the same "hamlib error" and runaround unable to transmit on FT8 dut decode around the world. Youtube vids are no good because when I do exactly what they say I get the same CAT failure.
    What's next?

8. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How sure are you about the cable? Does the cable work with CAT for other applications?

9. KI4ZUQ

Tried two usb cables, same results. Have three new ones arriving this week. Will report.

Several hams have reported that cables make a difference....

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

See post #6 for one source of supply. The HP Elitebook 8570P refurbished with Windows 7 may fit what you need- At this point, I should mention that while I own one- I have no financial connection to Hewlett Packard(TM/R/etc.) nor MicroCenter(TM/R/etc.). The machine has: 1. DB-9 serial port 2. USB ports 3. Sufficiently large screen and keyboard for my needs* 4. Intel i7 (3740 processor) 5. Sufficient memory for Windows 7 6. Sufficient hard drive / solid state drive at 256GB 7. Name brand regarding service some day ( not that it is needed now ) - * My optician once told me that I am a presbyopian, I responded that it could not be so- wrong religion. Regarding Windows 7, while 10 was released prior to purchase- I choose to avoid "Software as a service"- as in leased. I also prefer to schedule 'updates' for times when convenient, without resorting to changing settings or deletion of files which came 'standard' in the operating system. There is a separate forum here regarding computers which covers that.