December 2020 QST

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Nov 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know I will be accused of League bashing but here is my point. If I were not a Life Member of the ARRL I would not renew my membership. The contributions the League has made to our hobby via its lobbying the FCC have diminished in number rather remarkably over the past 4-5 years. With that being the case what else does membership provide? QST

I have been a QST reader (and author who has written articles published in QST) for most of my nearly 63 years as a ham. Just received the Dec 2020 issue. Without a doubt the thinnest issue I have ever seen. There are but 46 pages of content which have no advertisement on the page. Of the 46 pages 6 are reprints of QST content from many years ago...content I could easily find without it taking up space in the current issue.

In short--practically nothing in the issue that contributes to my knowledge base or interests me. So after just a very few minutes looking through the issue it was set aside for me to give to a young, local ham who cannot afford ARRL membership. Maybe he will get something out of it (other than the advertising). I know I didn't.

NK2U, WA9SVD, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our tastes change over the years. I signed up again recently after a 35-40 year hiatus just to see what it was all about. I think QST is well done for its target audience and I'm glad to see they can attract advertisers. I live the 50/25 years ago reprints.
    But its just not interesting - to me. The copies I haven't even browsed through are starting to pile up and I doubt I'll renew.
    It me, not them.

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not League bashing. You're simply pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes.

NK2U, N3AB and W0AQ like this.
  4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I confess that I only renew my membership in order to use the the outgoing QSL bureau - certainly not "a deal".

K3XR likes this.
  5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

People have strong feelings about clubs, magazines, political parties, "I drive a manly GM pickup, your Ford sucks", John Deere superior
    green farming equipment vs. crappy New Holland red. The salient question to ask about a commentary such as yours is, 'What was the practical
    or emotional payoff?' for you.
    Of course it's perfectly OK to articulate your thoughts here. But other than engendering ill-will towards the League which does not cure the issues raised,
    what did this just buy you? The League has structural, operational, and philosophical issues which need to be bettered as does any organization--your
    local school board, the Rhode Island General Assembly, the U.S. Dep't. of Homeland Security. Help us all out--show the problem and suggest a fix.

As to the factual record, advertising pays the freight for the entire league budget. It lowers my annual dues because many licensed Amateurs choose
    to not pay for overhead at the organization which protects their license in many forms. The print-media are holding on to gasping viability because the information-age we used to participate in no longer exists. Look at Time magazine, CQ, Smithsonian, Atlantic, FlyPast (UK). They have vibrant issues
    that are superb, and some months not-so-interesting, ten minutes from arrival-to-trash bin. So what?

To anticipate the requisite snide retorts to this posting, my emotional and practical payoff is this: Tribal bitching only makes like-minded
    clowns with pitchforks yell, "Yeah! Yeah!" It corrects no problems, tears down my advocate organization, and feeds upon itself and eats its young.
    On the emotional front, it's irritating.

Smiley-faces all-around.
    By the way, your tricked-out truck looks really stupid.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    WJ4U and WA6OSX like this.
  6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That "tricked out truck" is a work vehicle. He and so many others like him protect and serve all of us, even those among us that have lost their tenuous grip on reality.

N0TZU, KF5RRF, WG7X and 4 others like this.
  7. K7EA

K7EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry I am about as old as you are, and have been a ham almost as long so I can say this . . .

I don't think QST is the only traditional magazine going through changes. Only Old people still read newspapers and magazines (well what's left of paper papers); over 90% of the subscriptions are to over 65 year olds. The 150 year old daily paper in my area is going weekend only print Jan 1.

FT8: Do you love it or hate it?

Did you resist change over from a revolver to a semiauto striker fire weapon?

Let go and be happy. Watch it grow. Don't be Abe . . .

[​IMG]

73, Bill

W4NNF likes this.
  8. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QST Makes Excellent fire starter
    in the wood stove the last few yrs.

IT SUCKS

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Only because you are. ;)

This subject has been beaten to death.

Like the League -- join or renew.

Don't like the League -- don't join or leave.

:cool:

KE0GXN, KJ4KPW, KE5OFJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning Jerry. I am not quite as old as you nor have I been licensed as long. I’m 73 and licensed for a little over 50 years. I have been a life member of ARRL for nearly 50 years. I too find less and less content in QST that interests me as I get older. I could probably be accused of not embracing new technology, although I don’t “bash” those who do. If I do not like QST, as a life member, it comes in the mail every month. There is always something that interests me. When I get it in the mail, the first thing I do is check the “silent keys” section to see if my call is listed. If not, I read the rest of the magazine and get dressed.
    Tom WA4ILH

N1YR, KC1NY and W5TTP like this.