ad: Radclub22-1

Dear Mr. Computer/IT maintenance guy...

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KL7AJ, Mar 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the term is "deprecated" not "defecated"

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program.

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno, Some problems can make you just wanna deficate...

3. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you ever heard of a dump file?

Computers defecate quite often.

4. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That explains why people say "Aw, deprecate" when things go pear-shaped.

5. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Context is important as either can apply. As in...

This deprecated printer driver just defecated gibberish onto a ream of paper before I realized what was going on. Now I have to update the drivers, fill the printer, and empty the recycle bin. Hopefully before the boss sees all that wasted paper.

Oh, and I LOL'd at the post. :D

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It really stinks if there is bugs in it.

7. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, Deprecated has a meaning that should show the web site/computer world that 'no longer in use' or 'obsolete' is a better way of saying it.

I encountered the first term some years ago about how an earlier C programming language was deprecated. What they meant was 'no longer in use' by them. Same for HTML 1, its now HTML 5. I don't know who first used the term deprecated, but its silly to use it in this context.

8. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I encountered it when I worked with compiler upgrades. Features are deprecated—rather than immediately removed—in order to provide backward compatibility, and give programmers who have used the feature time to bring their code into compliance with the new standard. So there is kind of a nuance to it which makes it "not quite dead, yet" rather than "won't work".

Yes, if the feature has been removed, it would be better to describe it as obsolete or "no longer supported" than describe it as deprecated.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that's exactly it. In programming, deprecated usually means an API call or something that still works now but will probably be removed in a later version.

10. KL3HY

KL3HY Ham Member QRZ Page

I work with a guy who's been a Windows system administrator for about 10 years. Unfortunately he loves to use the word "depreciated" when what he means is "deprecated". It would probably be more fun if he mistakenly said "defecated" all the time though.