ad: elecraft

Dear experienced CW operators! Canyoupleasekeepproperspacingbetweenlettersandwords?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by SP5CKI, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

:):):)

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

By definition, especially among us with commercial or military operator training, "copying Morse" without exception means writing down the received text, usually legibly...:)

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

M6GYU and KK4NSF like this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Sloppy code is just that. No reason to suffer trying to correct those OP's who do not take the time OR effort to send appropriately. Lots of the problem lies with Ops trying to send to fast with the skill they possess. Some just do not take time to ever record and listen to what they have sent, believing they are sending good code but not really knowing, a obvious case of ignorance. If your hearing " sorry OM, QRM can't copy, 73" OR no call backs on your CQ's, often then might be time for a check up on yourself. I will not answer a poor sending OP but sometimes they answer me and I'm trapped. I have had the occasion I am sorry to report to tell a couple "I can not copy your code". The deficiency is with the sender in those cases. best, Rich

NE1U likes this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m a glutton for punishment.

I will from time to time do just that.

Sometimes it doesn’t go well but I find that sometimes the sending has it’s idiosyncrasies that don’t take more than a few overs to learn to understand.

And believe me, the guy on the other end will appreciate your effort.

There was a guy I worked regularly for a summer who I later learned had suffered a stroke and was working very hard at recovering his skills.

I was happy to suffer along with him and try to bring some joy back into his life.

KG4KAH and W9RAC like this.
  5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, I get that a medical condition may certainly be a issue with sending or for that matter copy of code. I mentioned those who make no effort. I had a chap answer a CQ last year. His code was so poor I could not copy even his call. After several tries I finally sent "sri I can not cpy ur CW " ...... he comes back with code that was envious. I find most of the "sloppy code" I run across comes from mechanical keys which are being operated way to fast for the OP. I have heard some pretty good code with a straight at 20 but its very, very rare. I call CQ generally at 21, so lots of times I get returns at 15/17. I keep my speed at 21 but space it out for them. End result is 15/17 for them but it keeps me from having to try and send at 15. Sort of a Farnsworth if you will. Next thing you know they are sending way to fast and its a mess. These days I am using a N3ZN single paddle. I like it. I have a bug and several straight keys but I have just lost the desire to use them. I was not being derogatory toward those who are impaired physically or for that matter new OP's. My anguish comes with those who take the time to answer a call but do not put effort into it. A bug with 25wmp dits and 15 wpm dahs is a example. 73 Rich

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite true. I can’t send well on a sk much above 12 wpm.

I can’t remember the name of the program but it’s a free download and shows on the screen how good or bad your spacing is. Highly recommended

W9RAC and KG4KAH like this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Please Take PRIDE To Do It Right!

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I answer those when I have time, also.

I don't have the time as often as I'd like.

Worked a guy a couple weeks ago who was pretty bad at sending and it seemed he wasn't copying me all that well (even at slow speed), either, but we completed a short QSO that took about 15 mins. A few days later I received an e-mail from that gentleman thanking me for the contact and explaining he's 88 years old and just got into the hobby last year, has arthritis and is nearly deaf, but is enjoying working code immensely.

That's why I go look for more contacts like this.

KF4MOT and WR2E like this.
  9. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion is this exactly what forums as the zed can get across to those wanna go QRQ. This where those that are not able to get the QSOs are able to put the questions out, " want to increase my speed, but no one responds" can be advised what online tools and what is the hardware/firmware world can offer to train yourself to machine-like sending from the key of your choice.

My personal mission is to master a side swiper to at least 40 wpm. I am loving this personal challenge. To cheat aka train myself, I am using the Begali CW Machine that can be set to decode at a particular speed. I don't know the window that it decodes but it is fairly tight. That is in opposition of decode what ever comes in which is for those that don't care. Fine for those people, but I am focused on the arguement that I am machine sending where in fact I am completely manual. Talk about the supreme complement. I do have some work ahead of me, I am moving so all of this is on hold for a bit, but I have 35wpm that the CWM decoded with me at a very high accuracy. So I am saving that encouragement to when I get settled. Killing me for now but hoping within 6 months .. probably 12.:(

We humans require expert crutches at times in these times. Back in the days of military training we had a sort of a DI. Now, use some useful tech aid and a bit of "beacause".

10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

This subject comes up at regular intervals.

I hate copying crappy code. Call it "the Lake Eire swing" or what ever, it's still crappy code. Everybody says I *could* run the last three of my call sign together and everybody would still be able to copy it. But I don't. Because I know some people wouldn't be able to deduce my call sign if I run my "UAA" together. Morse code brought me into ham radio. And I've always taken pride in my properly spaced straight key morse. I can send 25 WPM *good* code on my begali straight key, or my Kent straight key, or my Navy flame proof straight key. I usually hang around 17 or 18 WPM. Seems comfortable.

Yes, I wish hams had to retake tests to renew their license. And I wish morse ops had to copy their own code to pass the test. But neither will happen.

Like it or not, I don't answer crappy CQs and if answer a machine CQ and then see a switch to crappy code, I end it quickly. Sometimes an RST of 399, tnx for the qso, 73, sk.