Dear experienced CW operators! Canyoupleasekeepproperspacingbetweenlettersandwords?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by SP5CKI, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

YES, I was right...
    ...verrry interesting....

It is OP fault that sloppy CW is practiced!

Reminds me of "unsafe at any speed..." - sloppy CW is sloppy , period...

Why do I have to listen to "get used to it" ?
    Why should I care if others can copy it ?
    "the problem will resolve itself" gets gold star.

73 Shirley

SP5CKI and KK4NSF like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they're using "Reverse Farnsworth" spacing?

WB5YUZ and WN1MB like this.
  3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Canyoupleasekeepproperspacingbetweenlettersandwords"

Especially if you are sending German plain- text...:)

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KE0TNL, M6GYU, AG6QR and 1 other person like this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yes it is.... and inconsiderate operating technique. International Morse code has a defined spacing between words, and folks who ignore that spacing for the sake of speed are simply not sending it correctly, no matter how fast they are sending. Sure, you can say "learn code better".... but when you say that, you are really saying "learn to adapt to my failure to follow the established International Morse Code." The way I see it, if they are too lazy / sloppy to do it at least semi-right, then they are not worth my time.... so I just ignore them.

[​IMG].
    What is also funny is when you see folks do the same thing on RTTY or Digital Modes..... as if pressing the space key every now and then is really going to slow them down.

KE0TNL likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Stop using your computer to encode and decode. :rolleyes:

Send and receive Morse code instead of CW. ;)

WB5YUZ likes this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree.... but if you are, please take the time to do it right.

N8AFT likes this.
  7. SP5CKI

SP5CKI Ham Member QRZ Page

Daniel, I perfectly understand, that once you learn words not letters it is much easier to read sloppy code ("sloppy" ? I understood from one of the posts this is how it is called, right?).
    I am at the beginning of this process - so far I "hear" just a few words, the most common ones, like CQ, FER, 73, 5NN, DE, ES, IS. And, indeed, when you send a flow of dits and dats at me with one of these words I will catch it, even if you make zero spaces.

But honestly your explanation "...problem will resolve itslef" sounds like you confirm there IS such common? accepted? practice among exprienced operators NOT to bother with the code quality :(

PS. And about my CW, as a few people commented or asked:

I am still rookie, I started learning it Dec'2018 with "Just Learn Morse Code" Koch/Farnsworth, starting from its default 16/12. After some time I moved to "Morse Runner", mainly because it was more fun as helped me to withstand long learning process :) then - again - I got back to "Just Learn ..." where I focused on 23 WPM with Farnsworth spacing gradually improving.

It is 10 months of learning now, I am able to make QSOs at 16 WPM pretty comfortably (and I use this sending speed), about 18WPM still pretty good, at about 20-22WPM I will usually copy RST, NAME, QTH, RIG, WX but I will miss many details. I also participate in competitions and call everyone, including 30WPM+. Usually I manage to catch the Exchange data, often with repeats.

For the first month or so I was using an app on Android to help me decoding. It was far from perfect - putting phone close to RIG speaker - but it provided some mental support. First QSOs were quite stressful for me. But it was clear for me it is slowing down my learning process, so I stopped doing it as soon as I felt some confidence. Since a few months now I do not use and handicaps.

HOWEVER the positive side of using that decoding app early was the fact that it was showing how clear is MY code I send. It appeared for example, that I had tendency to merge "K" with "I" in my SP5CKI. I believe that it is very good idea to try to decode our own code from time to time ! - actually I read such advice somewhere...

8. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not too sure I agree with you at all in your statement that the problem of leaving spaces between words is mainly experienced operators.

You and a couple of other posters may also wish to know that morse has been sent by flashing light for almost as long as its been sent by W/T. It isn't just 'aural' - it can be visual. I've sent/received quite a lot of morse via signal lamps!! ;)

9. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought he was SK.

WB5YUZ, M6GYU and WR2E like this.
  10. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"I believe that it is very good idea to try to decode our own code from time to time ! - actually I read such advice somewhere..."

I have said it, many times!

There are a few "sure fire"ways to learn Morse code , however, I have always wanted to know (approximate) percetage of Morse code students who learn by receiving and NEVER touch a MANUAL key to send a single letter.

Of course I have always been of an opinion that copying whole words , especially without writing them down , as many claim, is not "coping code" , but form of guessing art.

Besides - I would not like to rely on such "copy word " operator receiving MY distress call coordinates !

SP5CKI
    your written English is better then mine, and I still have an issue coping English open code text - still have to translate to Czech most of the "words".

PS
    Don't tell me your native tongue is not Polska.

73 Shirley

KC9UR likes this.