Dead UHF/VHF repeater action in Maui, Hawaii

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KM6XP, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried surfing twice on the north shore of Oahu since we were staying there anyway, and 30 years ago I wasn't bad (I'm worse, today -- it's kind of like skiing, where the next day everything hurts :p) but was still a Haole (sp?), and they don't readily welcome visitors even on the waves. Then again, the kids there learn to wind surf when they're old enough to stand up and they're so good at it, no way to compete with that.

In a group of tourists, such as taking the bike ride down from Haleakala and wearing your brakes out, everyone's nice since they're all not natives.:) And that is a GREAT bike ride, even though pretty expensive.

I've known a lot of KH6 hams over the years and one thing I've always heard about "conditions" there is when the bands are open, it's a good place. When they're not, it's really lonely even on HF, being 2500 miles from anyplace else.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

No Activity =/= Dead UHF/VHF repeater

One is social, the other is technical.

3. ZL1BHD

ZL1BHD Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams listen to the local repeater so they dont miss out on any shared information. They aren't there to put together a quality conversation of any type, because they wouldn't know how even at gunpoint. As an experiment, organise a buddy to meet you on any repeater and have a quality technical discussion and watch the experts pop out of the bushes with their input on YOUR stuff. You'll also see all sorts of "leadership"(sic) telephone you over the next week going to great lengths to get you to attend their club meetings, because all their technical people left the club - I'll give you one guess why, and that is the same thing that will happen to you too.

Ham Radio isn't the companionship you hoped it to be, in fact it's full of users and abusers. Stick to mixers, antennas, filters, and amplifiers (ie, "actual radio"), and just get signal reports from people without expecting too much.