Dead UHF/VHF repeater action in Maui, Hawaii

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KM6XP, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here on vacation, just dead on most of the repeaters and simplex, should have brought the field HF rig. Any local Maui operators here than can share any tips.

Aloha

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In my experience, it's been that way many years.

I had the same experience even back in 1977. A few locals using the machines, but if anyone they didn't know popped on, it would go quiet.

From the top of Haleakala, I could key up repeaters on other islands, providing more opportunities for contacts and from up there did work a few on 146.52 simplex.

KM6XP likes this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I've made a few trips to Maui and have taken a 2 M HT on each trip. Each time we stayed near the top of a high rise condo on Kaanapali. At the time there were repeaters (multiple) I could access in places like Lahaina and Kihei and also had good line of sight coverage along the coast on .52 simpex. NO, as in ZERO activity. The only 2 M contacts I made were from the top of Haleakala volcano and those were through a repeater on another Hawaiian island--not on Maui

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Me, too.

Been to KH6 five times, all the big islands (never visited the smaller ones). Haleakala allows hitting repeaters all over the place...they key up, but nobody comes back.

I know half the population of Hawaii are round-eyes and they can't possibly be so intolerant, but it seems once you're an islander, it's kind of an inside clique no matter where you're originally from.

I have a daughter who's lived in KH2 the past 3-1/2 years and they're kind of like that, also. She's from here, but now she's an "islander," and they tolerate visitors but don't consider them part of the inside group.:p They all speak English. Must be a secret handshake thing. She's moving back Stateside in August; I think she finally developed island fever.:)

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought people went to Hawaii to look at the girls. :)

Why would you want to play on ham radio ? :rolleyes:

6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

So you can TALK to the girls, of course. :p

7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on the 442.350 repeater, I had one short QSO with a local ham but I made multiple calls daily for 8 days and nothing else and I also heard no traffic. Dead, dead, dead...

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A few KH6 members of the SKCC are active on HF CW, I have worked several on multiple bands,
    But, last time I was on The Big Island, up on top of Mauna Kea, I worked Back to Oahu on a rptr on Diamond Head. A few Simplex QSOs with a few other ops vacationing on Maui and Big Island, Even Back 20 years ago , the locals were not talking to visitors.
    I was limited to a few channels I programmed into a HT 600 2 W hand held before I left home.

10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it would get old for local hams in HI, since they must hear vacationing hams often, but still. I don't get the closed-society-secret-handshake-get-off-of-my-lawn (er,repeater) mentality here or there. It's not like yesteryear when repeaters were being used for milk and bread runs after work, every day, if they had a phone patch, or similar mundanities.