Dead clock on laptop

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KP4SX, Aug 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are logging contacts and just happened to get Bouvet Island it would be extremely important.

WA9SVD likes this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Timestamps on files and OS logs are Important.

And QSO logs, as noted above

WA9SVD likes this.
  3. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually...aside from digital modes and logging; the PC clock is often used for other tasks than just "telling you what time it is". You need an accurate time for things like SSL to work. You need an accurate time if you deal with any kind of secure applications.

*You* yourself might not need the time to be accurate on a PC; but the rest of the digital world is relying on it being at least somewhat accurate.

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never found a computer (laptop OR desktop) that having sat unused for a long period that "needed a few" days to keep proper time. They either NO date/time info at all due to a dead battery, or had proper 'time and date" (perhaps off by a few minutes after several years, but STILL retaining the proper date) and need to be reset, but once reset, they keep just as an accurate time as when first put together. (And that includes a Win 98 machine that I forgot about for about ten years.) Once I reset the time, (and yes, replaced the battery just "for grins,") it is still keeping proper time, (off my maybe a few seconds after the last seven months.) And IF a "CMOS" battery on the motherboard WERE bad, and causing problems, it would ALSO cause problems with settings that would have to be reset EVERY time the computer was turned on, NOT just affecting the "clock." Most motherboards actually notify a user of the battery has died, and needs to be replaced.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you setting the time in the BIOS or using the Windows interface ?

On a laptop, Normally the battery pack provides power for the RTC. So if the battery has a charge the clock keeps ticking.

There is a security settings in Windows 7 that protects software from messing with the CMOS. That port gets blocked.

Is your computer connected to the Internet ? Are you logged in as a Admin ?

Good Luck.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the BKT Time software to set it in the morning and I leave it running during the day. Its completely turned off at night and when I start up anew in the morning the clock is showing the time I turned it off. eg - clock not running at all without power applied.

7. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a long shot. Microscopic components. Old electronics. I think sometimes the connections get a little oxidation, then the heat of running the machine changes things.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe, but in 40+ years, and at least 20 computers built or upgraded, I haven't seen it happen:(

WF9Q likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Was rocking along last night on FT8 and BKT was refreshing every 5 mins so all was fine. Until something glitched. I went into BKT and I was 240 seconds off! Didn't see anything in BKT that suggests it missed a beat.
    Weird.
    Hopefully my new machine will arrive today and I can put this one away.

10. N7VGO

N7VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it was mentioned, but has the CMOS battery been replaced?