Dead clock on laptop

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KP4SX, Aug 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course. I was just asking a simple question if there was some click box or setting I needed to look at.
    Thanks for the replies.

N3RYB likes this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An "atomic" clock that syncs with WWV is the best option for time.

This is what I use:
    La Crosse Technology Digital Atomic Rectangle Tabletop Combination Clock with Alarm
    only problem is if you have a steel building they need to be close to a window so the WWV broadcast can be received. Display is big and readable. It would be nice if they would put an antenna connector on the back for an "industrial version".

N4FZ likes this.
  3. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On unixy type systems ntpd supports using WWV as clock source directly(just need a radio and sound card) GPS is always an option too.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are all of your BIOS settings correct ?

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as I can tell.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

But HOW does that (an external atomic clock) "correct" the time/clock problem in a computer, be it a laptop OR a desktop?

Unfortunately, for a while (long ago in a galaxy far, FAR away?) some manufacturers chose (IMHO, a VERY poor choice, or a way to sell more computers in the future?) a clock chip that had an INTERNAL battery (and NOT user replaceable.) That clock chip was also usually SOLDERED in so replacement (the ONLY possible option) was next to impossible. If the laptop in question has one of those clock chips, replacement with a different laptop is the only option.
    But if the laptop IS "unusable," and OLD, why toss it back in a closet? A t least (here in Orange Co, CA) Goodwill accepts such as "e-waste," and they at least get a few cents from a recycler.

7. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

If it sat unused for years I would give it more time to fix itself. Go through a few days and a few more reboots. If still no luck then try another battery and make sure the contacts aren't corroded.

8. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RTC chips can go bad. The components that drive them can go bad. When the battery starts to the the RTC won't tick properly. I had a machine that only ticked it's clock 48 seconds every minute. This was pretty much a reliable offset. Every minute...12 seconds off. Every two minutes, 24 seconds off. After 5 minutes the clock was a minute off.

PC's don't keep time very well on their own; they constantly poll the system clock. I have seen a system get bogged down and watch it's clock stop updating because there's not enough resources to respond to the interrupt; when it finally does, it updates just fine.

In my case the RTC chip itself was failing. This was also causing ram timing issues; it made the system not want to boot, made sound have massive issues, and generally made for an unstable experience.

KD2RDG likes this.
  9. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its very simple, just look at the real clock on the wall instead of the small text on screen.

You don't need a clock on a laptop, it was just installed for bling back in the old days when people would line up outside of best buy to purchase the latest edition of DOS or Windows when it was released.

Now, on a server that is another issue IF you are keeping logs, then you have an issue that must be resolved.

WA9SVD likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You make a point to an extent, and the use of the laptop will "depend." At least for some digital modes, a clock that is correct and keeps accurate time matters.

WF9Q likes this.