ad: MonitorSens-1

Dead clock on laptop

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KP4SX, Aug 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My main shack computer took a hike so I pulled out an old laptop that hasn't been used for years. It seems to still work but the clock is kaput.
    Clock doesn't run at all when it is turned off and when its on it doesn't keep time well. Not even close.
    Fresh bios battery didn't help (the old one was very dead).
    Is there anything I can look at that might help? I'm keeping the clock accurate with BKT Time Sync for the time being.
    Win 7 - HP Pavilion dv6-3225dx

2. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Assuming you have the clock on the lower right side of the bar, click it>>change time and date>>internet time>>change settings
    Mine is: time.windows.com

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you check the new battery ?

Some are DOA.

+ should be up facing you.

4. KP4SX

:) Yes, I double checked it too.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeahbuttt.... did you triple check it? :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

UT7UX likes this.
  6. KP4SX

It changes too much to make that of any use.

7. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure why you would bother messing with it, I would just get rid of it and buy another one. Used computer stuff is cheap, way cheaper than frustration and wasted time.

N4FZ likes this.
  8. KP4SX

New machine should be arriving tomorrow or Monday. Then I can stick this one back in the closet.

W1BR, N4FZ, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.
  9. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This really is the easiest answer.

Every day, I watch (fellow) Unix geeks spend five minutes perfecting a complex command line, instead of typing two or three small simple commands. And while I understand and respect the desire to maximize the efficiency of each command, in the long run, "perfect" is not "best".

TL;DR: Tossing the old and buying the new is oft best

10. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Other than needing to rely on the internet to set your clock initially, modern operating systems aren't polling the RTC on a regular basis. It's sort of one of those sort of things that I know I can live with. Many embedded systems don't have an RTC so this is the standard state of affairs.

The question is, can you live without an accurate clock until the internet is up? :)