DCW (Data CW) versus CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Aug 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think the distinction you've tried to make is either useful or practical. All it seems you're really after is a way to bring back a Morse test to keep folk out of your favoured parts of the bands. Those days are past. Let go of them and look to the future. Look to the training and mentoring of new operators. Look to encouraging good operating standards. Put effort into leading and encouraging, and folk may come to respect you and follow your example. Spend your time complaining and trying to impose restrictions, and you'll find yourself in the GOOF (Grumpy Obstructive O.F.) bin.

2. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're the kid GOOFY lecturing the experienced OTs? I'm already training and mentoring CW OPs, good standards and so forth. You speak for yourself.

3. VK5EEE

Depends on the national administrations I think Gary, and 144-144.1 is no longer exclusive CW I think just last week 144.000-144.025 was awarded to Satellites? For many countries and as recommended by IARU, not only entire HF bands are usable by CW but other modes are restricted, not all countries, but that is the recommendation and some put that into their band plans. RSGB is quite specific on this issue, and there are indeed CW-only bands at the lower ends. As you know I'm, so that each mode can enjoy as much co-existence and as little friction as possible, and the idea is admins in many countries allow the national societies and Radio Amateurs to manage their own internal affairs, "self regulation", rather than have to come in and sort things out. However, obviously if it did degenerate into unresolved conflicts of interest, that wouldn't be the case. That's why even some societies put the QRP and beacone guard frequencies into the band plans, as well as IARU centre of activity frequencies for emergencies... again, to quote one society RSGB (Britain) they even put a NO-CONTEST are of the band around those frequencies (e.g. 7110), some 30kHz on 40m for example, where contests should not operate.

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the problem with this forum and CW enthusiasts...those older experience hams. :)

5. VK5EEE

Dunno Bill, I think the general problem these days is that, more than ever before, the young and inexperienced are absolutely convinced they know better than the old and experienced. We were bad when we were young, but every generation gets weaker, lazier, more arrogant, disrespectful and stupid! Here in Australia, students are in charge of their teachers, and set the curriculum. And failing anyone would be discrimination, so there are no grades for many course any more: only pass, or "not yet passed", no failure. You only need to attend a course and keep doing so and eventually you'll pass, and be equally qualified as any idiot. Education system: just to make money from foreign students, and they have to be passed otherwise questions will be asked. Any University in Ghana has much higher standards than those in England or Australia these days, but the paper won't be respected, because its Black Africa and not White Europe. Things have changed, and they're only getting worse. Idiots rule, and having a brain is a now a handicap. Back to the sanity of CW :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. N7ZAL

What I posted was sarcastic, and should have made it more clear. I just get tired of the new hams painting those who know with the broad brush of "out of touch, old, etc."

I learned CW as a kid of 9 and figure I do have some experience to share...even being "old?" :)

VK5EEE likes this.
  7. VK5EEE

I thought so and to make sure I even visited your profile and saw your experience :) yes I don't think it's the same though these days, being old in Africa, Asia, you are still respected, in the "modern" world much less so. We live in the world of Facebook where teenagers offer each other counsel, and nothing that isn't there counts. It doesn't go for everyone of course, but I've also noticed some folks (and I'm not talking about here on this forum, but elsewhere) who say they want to learn CW, and you go out of your way to help them, and they ignore everything you say. Not everyone can be Elmered or mentored.

8. N7ZAL

Yes many foreign cultures consider the old folks "wise," and it was also the case among the Native Americans in this country. I've always admired that, even at a young age.

When very young I always liked to listen to the older hams talk about their days of spark gaps, Ford coils, telegraphy, making their own components for rig building, etc. I couldn't get enough. Times have changed I guess.

At some point in the future maybe people will kick themselves for not listening and learning...but I'm not counting on it. :)

VK5EEE likes this.
  9. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For you no longer following this thread you made quite a few follow-up posts.

You may do some little reading of what a digital signal is. It seems you are confusing something. It has nothing to do with opinion but
    with definition by technical standards bodies. But WTF do I know? I'm just a young whippersnapper.

May I also suggest we further segregate those lower 25kHz for real CW ops (like me) who use a straight key? Pretty please. Let's make sure we have enough
    separate sandboxes for every class of ham. Let's not mix different classes so that *gasp* learning could happen. Transfer of knowledge.

Or in other words: Get OFF my lawn!

I used to have this romantic image in my head of hams helping hams. The fraternity, the brotherhood of ham radio. Forums like this seem to do a good job
    of destroying such notions at times. I guess I better get back on the air.

73 Mike K5TRI

10. N7ZAL

Time to give it up Mike?