DCW (Data CW) versus CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Aug 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see what you did there.

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is this "Lake Eire" you speak of? It's not in Ireland...:D

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The rules apply only to transmissions. How signals are received and understood is not within the scope of the law, nor should it be. You are suggesting making computer translation of Morse Code illegal. That would mean that SW listeners would be breaking the law by using a computer to 'decode' Morse code they hear on their SW receivers. How do you think that would be to try to enforce? For that matter, how does one know that the person they are working via Morse is using a decoder or not?

That being said, I don't see how disallowing machine decoded Morse would benefit anyone. To me, making such a rule would actually be a detriment to amateur radio and those that use Morse Code.

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, this is a pretty good program to decode Morse:

http://cwget-morse-decoder.soft32.com/free-download/

It's not perfect, but that makes it even better for learning how to copy by ear. Just find a signal that is only partially decoded by CWget and fill in the blanks by ear.

5. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't done very much automated decoding but tried Fldigi to see how it worked and it didn't do too bad. Of course all the parameters of "clean" CW came into play...but certainly a lot better than years ago.

Back in the late 1970's a fellow engineer designed a decoder that used an 8080 (I think) and for the time it worked OK. The poor fellow wanted to get his ham license but couldn't learn the code, so he just built his own decoder. :)

6. K5TRI

Why is it that when there is no real problem, some people try to solve the non existing problem by trying to restrict others?

7. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

OK I see this thread serves no further purpose, if as OP I could close it, I would, as now the trolls take over... and Voice too is a Digital mode... everything can be digital... define it as you will, the OP still stands and I'm out of here now, have fun.

8. K5TRI

So basically after you made a post that didn't serve any real purpose to start other than display your elitism, discriminate against deaf people (as they can't copy by ear) and had to discover
    that not everybody immediately jumped on your side you call everybody else a troll, pack up your toys and run to another sandbox to play?

In another post you proclaim tolerance and friendliness, yet in your very post up here you demonstrate the opposite.

9. VK5EEE

Correct K5TRI: as I've already stated numerous times my position, nothing against keyboards, nothing against decoders. Some people use them very well, others HAVE to use them. Below 25kHz I advocate for bringing back CW test, and for that I'm a despot and not the only one. For those with medical reasons, as I've stated before, they wouldn't have any problem passing that test and may even be exempt from it. Trying to claim CW is a digital mode is nonsense, you can call CW a language, digital, and so forth, but for the purposes of data communications we all know CW was not designed as a digital data mode for computers, and pre dates computers. I don't need anyone to be on my side on this issue, I've stated my position, and I can listen to others, but when it goes silly or off tangent, I'm not following a thread anymore, as is my right.

W5BIB likes this.
  10. VK5EEE

Because there is a problem, I've defined it here and elsewhere, for you it may not be a problem, but for some of us it is. I've already explained why in great detail before. If a problem exists, it is not non-existing, and there is no restriction on anybody: if you want to send CW below 25kHz you should KNOW some CW and thus passing a simple test is not a restriction, as much as it is not a restriction for you to have to take a driving test before you drive on the road. Originally no one needed take driving tests, only after some people spoiled it for other road users by driving vehicles when they could not master the art, were tests introduced to keep it safe for others. Above 25 you'd still be able to use whatever computerized CW you like, and even practice, but those who do not want 100 keyboard warriors with decoders and NO knowledge of ANY CW, and no knowledge of 3 essential Q codes QRT, QSY, QRL, to invade our pleasure by 5 minute long auto-QSO loop while they run off for a coffee, as will happen in future if this trend continues, have our right to our own part of the band, just as WSPR users have a right for you to choose a different frequency than 7040.1 if you want to CQ in RTTY.

W5BIB likes this.