DCW (Data CW) versus CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Aug 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ummm, hey guys, there is only two allocations that are CW only. One is from 50-50.1MHz and the other is from 144-144.1MHz.
    Everywhere else is allowed for CW operations and is shared with other modes of transmission in any amateur band allocation. Be it KB or straight key, it's CW and you should enjoy other who partake.

Have fun
    Gary

KC9UDX likes this.
  2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose that it would be just wrong for me to point out that in this post-code-for-licensing era, there are a few of us who got our feet wet in code using decoders, found that we liked it, and graduated to actually learning code because of the deficiencies of decoding tools?

I also suppose that it would be wrong for me to point out that just like keyboards may be a solution for hams whose health denies them the reliable use of a key or paddles, some decoding software may be of use to hams who can no longer copy code due to hearing loss.

Don't get me wrong; I think traditional sending code by hand and receiving it by ear is a beautiful thing. But times have changed, and there are new ways to get hams acquainted with that art and to increase the number of operators for people practicing that art to have QSOs with.

W5BIB likes this.
  3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The post-code-for-licensing era ended a long time ago. The number in one's call doesn't necessarily indicate location.

:eek::D

4. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

N1EN you wouldn't be wrong, and keyboards can be used very well when done by an OP who knows CW procedure. And those who for medical reasons need decoders can of course use them. I've mentioend all that in a longer post somewhere on the subject. Gary I don' think you're right on that, on all HF bands CW is allowed across the whole band, but we have portions that are CW ONLY and we're the only mode that have that, since a CW signal can easily be notched out, but an SSB or RTTY signal in the CW exclusive part of the band would cause much rancour.

5. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe some folks should get their definitions straight. CW is a digital mode by the very definition of digital signals.
    The fact that it may be generated by a computer or a straight key doesn't make it analog. Sorry to burst some bubbles.

A digital signal is a type of continuous signal that is a representation of a sequence of discrete values (a quantified signal, for example of an arbitrary bit stream, or of a digitized (sampled and analog-to-digital converted) analog signal. Digital signals are often electronic, but may be optical or other forms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal

Data != Digital

And yes, CW is also a data mode as it is used to transfer data. Your call sign is data, your QTH is data, the signal report and everything else in the QSO is data.
    Get over it.

73 Mike K5TRI
    SKCC 9409T

KC9UDX likes this.
  6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Data does not equal CW by colloquial understandings. Just look at the evolution of the modes.

Regardless, machine generated code is in a different category than hand sent. I've seen the evolution over time

However, define it as you wish and the earth will still spin...who cares?

VK5EEE likes this.
  7. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not my definition. Last time I checked the world doesn't care about my opinion or definitions. These are general
    definitions. Please accept my apologies all y'all for bringing fact and logic into a discussion here. I wasn't thinking ;).

8. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't apologize we need experts like you to set us straight.

9. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aww, I see the problem, here in the states CW is exactly like I have already noted. But, in Australia, it is different.
    My apology for missing that bit of information. Various countries have differing ways they segment the bands.
    For those interested, here is a posting for what Australia uses; http://www.wia.org.au/members/bandplans/data/documents/Australian Band Plans 150801.pdf

And for Louis, here below are the US allocations.

Have fun
    Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's never going to happen in the US, or any other country that has eliminated Morse Code testing as a license requirement.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015