ad: M2Ant-1

DC power loading

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KP4SX, May 23, 2020 at 11:47 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend and I were comparing DC power loading of our rigs at low power. I found my IC-7410 to be VERY hungry and inefficient at low levels. 13A @ 25 watts out and 9A@5W out. On the upper end of the power range it all seems normal.

His IC-7610 shows ...

5W to 10W =2.5 A
    20W =7 A
    30W =8 A
    45W =10 A

...which all seems reasonable.

Mine shows about 2.3 A on receive, I'm not sure about his.

What gives? Is that characteristic of the 7410 (or any other rigs) or am I looking at some kind of fault?

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

My IC-7410 does the same thing. I love my IC-7410. I love it so much, I bought another one before they ran out of stock and it's sitting in a closet (still unopened) in case something goes wrong with the one I have turned on 24/7, run full break-in on several CW sprints/month, full power and lately, 6 meter FT8 full power (since it's been going crazy there lately.)

It's a tank.

Don't ever get rid of yours. You'll regret it later if you do. It's one of the last of Icom's great radios with a good receiver, a servo controlled automatic antenna tuner that works and almost a 100% duty cycle transmitter. (I also have a couple of 9100's "new in box" also--that should be enough to keep me on the air until I "give up the ghost.") Just give it all the current it asks for and it'll be happy.

KP4SX likes this.