Dayton Hamvention

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by N3CA, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I considering buying one of those /\/\ motorcycle mobile radios. I'm not a street bike fan, but I love vintage Japanese enduros. I'm sure I could make the radio work, somehow. [​IMG]

I had a dream last night, that I got 1000 /\/\ BPR1000 pagers given to me, along with as many POCSAG encoders I could want. [​IMG]

2. K7ALY

K7ALY Ham Member QRZ Page

You know you're too far gone when you're dreaming about radios. [​IMG]

3. KC0KBH

I've also had so many dreams that I've actually recieved a free iPod. And that I have a motorcycle. Or a scooter. [​IMG]

4. K7ALY

K7ALY Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to hijack the thread, but you (KBH) said you were a pager enthusiast. Are pagers legal to use on the amateur bands? Seems to me paging is an inherently one-way communication, and Part 97 says we're limited to two-way communication. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Paging is legal as long as the intended recipients are hams and the content is of interest to amateurs. Such pages would be considered bulletins just like W1AW sends.

By content of interest to radio amateurs, examples might include Skywarn activations, club announcements, etc. So you couldn't use it to call your kid home to dinner (ham or not) nor to call the neighbourhood mommies to come get their kids.

6. KC0KBH

Exactly. My setup would be probably, if I could do it, RSS feeds from the NWS, that give the same stuff that the weather radio does. I've seen them, and it is the same info, for my area. I'd probably do a weekly test, too. I don't know. You may laugh when you read everything I want to do, and think I'm an idiot, for complicating the whole thing so much, but it is something I am thoroughly interested in. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.