ad: w5yi

Dayton Hamvention to Provide Information Radio Station on 1620 AM

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, May 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The low-power station will offer traffic, weather, parking, and event information to motorists as they approach Xenia, which is bracing to handle an influx of nearly 30,000 visitors. The 1620 AM signal will blanket Xenia and be audible in surrounding Greene and Montgomery counties, directing approaching attendees to special parking facilities. The station will utilize a newly designed, high-efficiency/high-capacity antenna.

[​IMG]
    The transmitter and antenna system will be on display during Dayton Hamvention at Booth 6503. Perhaps someone could take a few photos and post them here.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter?issue=2019-05-09#toc02

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope they filed a Special Temporary Authorization with the FCC. :eek:

Or possibly the city of Xenia filed some FCC Part 90 info forms.

Pheel

3. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like they teamed up with a company that installs and manages TIS transmitters.

4. K4KYV

I'm not going this year, but I'd like to see the set-up. The transmitter is probably nothing exciting, just a closed box with a power source terminal and rf output terminal, but the antenna might be interesting to see. I wonder what kind of a ground system they will use. A few short radials? One or more ground rods? Or maybe it's one of those alleged miracle "no-radials-needed" verticals like you see advertised in QST.

5. AC0OB

6. AC0OB

7. K4KYV

They do the ground plane right. 60-80 relatively short radials on or in the ground, as opposed to just 3-4 long ones. Radials brazed to the common point with silver alloy solder, not fastened to a stainless steel "radial plate" with screws. The high efficiency version uses a vertical whip 44' high, slightly more than the magic "42-ft vertical" that so many hams take as gospel.

With more fire in the wire, one of those things ought to get out fairly well on 160.

8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What, no "folded counterpoise?" No coils, one in each radial to tune them to resonance? This must not have been designed by a ham!

From the antenna page: "At 10 watts, the signal intensity may be 2.0 mV/m at 2.25 miles, producing a sign-able range of 8 to 12 miles. " I am not sure if that is 2 millivolts or 2 microvolts. I suspect microvolts but field strength in microvolts should be given with the letter mu so it is clear. I frequently see microvolts per meter expresed as mV/m but folks should either spell it out or find a typographical way to type mu: µ Big difference between 2.0 µV/m and 2.0 mV/m!

the Inovonics 222 is no longer in production so they must be using something else on new installs, perhaps a 223, unless they purchased a few hundred 222s and are using them up. Those mp3 file samples on that one page are sure a good advertisement for the 222!