ad: UR5CDX-1

Dayton Hamvention - motel suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by N6RLS, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm planning on going this year... looking for cheap, yet clean and nearby lodging... the reviews of the Super 8 motels don't look good and many of the other places are way far from the Hamvention site...

If you've been there and have any hotel/motel advice, please let me know... Also would like free high-speed internet access at the place.

Thanks,

Robin N6RLS

2. N3OS

N3OS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hotels/Motels at Hamvention

All I will say is that most of the good, clean motels/hotels are in the range of $100 a night so finding someone to share the cost is very beneficial if you don't need complete privacy for the few nights.

A word of caution... Last year we stayed at the Baymont Inn & Suites in Huber Heights (not too far from Hara Arena) only to have the maid leave our room open and all our things were then stolen. I think the maid was involved but the manager refused to do anything about it even though the computer confirmed she had indeed left the room unsecured. She didn't even clean it! Why bother when you just made a nice "haul" with no effort at all... Avoid this establishment unless you are taking everything with you when you leave the room for the day!

Good luck with your search for a room. Some people wind up staying in Cinci.

:)

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Being it is only a little more than a month away, I'd be surprised if you can find much of anything for a room reasonably nearby it!

4. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. AC2EV

AC2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a Hampton Inn in Springboro with a few rooms left. It's a quick drive (30min) up the highway to Dayton. There's also a Holiday Inn Express across the street.

The Hampton is $85.00 a night. Free breakfast which they have decent selection of.

There's a Bob Evan's across the street. MCM electronics is just down the road too which is a plus.

6. KG4LHQ

KG4LHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WD8CMD

WD8CMD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try the Holiday Inn Express and the LaQuinta in Tipp City about 15 - 20 minutes from Hara.

8. KD8HHF

KD8HHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Possible Indoor Camping Available!!
    I have an empty, empty 2br condo on Cincinnati's east side at I-275 and Beechmont Ave--the power and water are on, new carpet, appliances in place, etc.,but no furniture. Must be left clean!

PM me if interested..............

9. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Comfort Suites Wright Patterson AFB

We are here a week early on a family trip, ugh, and for fun, I asked the clerk about next weekend. NV on 5/14 or 5/15, but vacancy on 5/16.

I'd guess the rate is about $85 for two double beds.

10. W3HR

W3HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Heads up for next year...

Avoid the Days Inn on Harshman Rd. at all costs (this is the road that Needmore turns into, after it crosses I-75)!! I stayed there for Hamvention 2007 and it was a bit on the unsavory side, but sufficient. This year, it has become downright ratty and unlivable! The bedclothes had not been changed (one bed even had fresh cigarette ashes on the top sheets), the room had not been cleaned (or not sufficiently), there was no toilet paper in the bathroom, and all the furniture seemed to be falling apart. Overall customer service was terrible.

I'm still itching from whatever was in the beds.

11. K4LJP

K4LJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hotels / motels

Many good ones and good places to eat and shop along Miller Ave. ( about 10 minutes from Hara Arena )I stayed at Red Roof Inn last year. Rates range from $49 to $100 per night. Best time, prices, for reservations is in mid January.

12. KC2GYU

KC2GYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My review for the Dayton Days Inn South, at 1944 Miamisburg-Centerville Road:
    The hotel was the only one we could find with vacancy for a decent price(not 100-200 a night, we're looking to spend our money at the Hamvention, not the Hotel :p).
    When we first went to check-in, I'm guessing the man who was the owner, was very rude, probably because we woke him up at 1:30am.

The room was dirty, and smelled. We were scared to sleep under the covers for fear of bedbugs.
    The next day, we decided to mark the sheets with a number in the corner. We threw them on the floor, and wrote a note asking for them to be changed, along with a 5 dollar bill. The tub was dirty, as was the bathroom in general. There was a few dead bugs under the bed. Found lots of ants crawling around the air conditioner.
    When we got back to the room, we checked the sheets, and sure enough our numbers were still in the corners, indicating they never changed the sheets. I slept the remainder of the nights in my clothes, wearing a sweatshirt because I didn't want to touch the dirty sheets/bed.

Call me paranoid or whatever, but we WON'T be staying there next year.
    To be honest, I've slept in cleaner tents/cabins/lean-to's camping then this room.

13. N4CD

N4CD Ham Member QRZ Page

motels

If you find the place unacceptable, drop the national chain a note.

The manager might not give a darn, but National HQ has the brand name to protect. If you have stuff stolen, file a police report and complain to national HQ. You might even take the motel to small claims court - especially if they show the maid left the door open. That is 'negligence' and likely they would lose, big time.

Stayed at Super 8 in Morraine. Sheets clean. Room clean. Breakfast good. Others in previous years have had problems.

If you want a $50 motel, I can point you at one. Sheets will be clean, and I've stayed there a bunch...but no breakfast, no internet access. Cheap is the word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.