ad: k1jek

Day 1 with the ICOM IC-7610

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's now Day 3.

I suspect someone is having a heck of a lot of fun with their new toy.

I want one. :)

WB9VPG likes this.
  2. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I brought that up a few years back, I said their would be a 9100 B same radio with a color display. that is also why I don"t have one. They have a new rig coming out soon the IC-9700 that will be the fix for that.

3. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred,
    When you were WAITING for your "7610" were you CAMPING OUT on your FRONT PORCH ALL DAY waiting for the "Delivery Guy"??? :) In today's messed up world they can't even deliver something on your own property without WORRYING about somebody SWIPING IT!!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. AB4KY

AB4KY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really appreciate the video review.

5. AB4OJ/SK2024

AB4OJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

At SDR Academy 2016 in Friedrichshafen, I gave a presentation entitled "A New Look at SDR Testing".
    This covers new test methods which are better suited to the evaluation of direct-sampling SDR's. I will be receiving an IC-7610 on loan next Spring, and will test it and post a report on my website.

73, Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ

6. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom 9700 = 18 months out. Don't make any life plans on that estimate. But I am looking forward to it also!

7. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

My Ten Tec Pegasus does all of that.... Just got a 7300 &, as it has many bells & whistles, I still like the Pegasus with N4PY software. Would it be sacrelidge to use the 7300 as a 2nd receiver?

Ed

8. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

good video. Still waiting for mine to be ready for pickup from HRO Atlanta (im getting impatient)

I have the 7300 and although I like it, I think the 7610 is going to address the qualms I have with the 7300 - mostly quick accessibility of features (band changes, CW speed changes) and dual antenna ports. Im hoping to see a difference in receive and filtering - the CQ WW CW contest a couple weekends ago pointed out some limitations of the 7300.

9. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Does your 7610 have the output power drive problem that has been reported and documented by VK3BL ? This appears to be a hardware problem ?

10. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Already an INCREDIBLE Radio.... Yes I have had one in my possession for review !

But.... Some KEY DOCUMENTATION has not been released in a usable form.... i.e. Documentation to be able to adapt libraries such as HAMLIB and OMNIRIG. This makes the utility of the radio poor until ENGLISH (i..e Universal language) documentation is made available....

Oh, This can be found: http://www.icom.co.jp/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-7610_J_Supp_1.pdf

Until such documentation is universally released the radio is in a very basic form....... as its power cannot be unleashed yet !

Also I am EXTREMEMLY concerned at its cost !!!!

11. DJ0RD

DJ0RD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to see a couple of reviews first. A German/ EU QTH is often much more demanding receiver wise than the USA. Not ready to sell the FTdx-5000 yet.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I know that the IC 7610 has DUAL RX, can someone kindly confirm that the rig has TWO SEPARATE Audio OUTS --AND-- that each receiver can be panned to each respective audio out port....

IOW, can you have a stereo out as with the IC 7800 and TS-990?

Also, can you 'lock' both receivers on the fly? The TS-990 calls this 'TRACK".

Finally, the second RX knob is controlled by buying an RS-28 and plugging it into the USB port...I know that there is no built-in second RX tuning knob....

I am a diversity/binaural guy and won't use a rig that doesn't do this stuff...

Thanks!
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video Fred and Steve
    I was extremely delighted to work Steve W7SCG who did this video with Fred today using a 7610 on my end also. 1st 7610 to 7610 contact on both ends
    The only negative I can have is the touch screen feels a little cheap and kind of feels like a double screen click compared to the 7300 Steve had the same comment on his rig

14. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

...and they STILL didn't put an LED into the transmit button so you know it's on. I know there's an LED above the display but why didn't they put it in the switch? DUH!

15. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Less worry about that here as I work from home and have perimeter alerts. Then, there’s the dog...