ad: chuckmartin

Day 1 with the ICOM IC-7610

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. ZL1UMY

ZL1UMY QRZ Member

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Um, so the 7600 doesn't use touch screen, or doesn't have to?

I confess to also having a preference for a traditional "tactile" knob and switch approach for radios, though I'm planning to run my FT-817nd at home almost exclusively with HRD given the display size and nested menus - compromise to get such a small radio for portable work that I can use at home too. But I have no issues with the touch screens on my iPhone, my iPad, or my work Android. Or rather, I can't think of any other way it could be designed that would work as well and keep the display size without making the devices much larger which would be bad.

And I would never, ever, give up having a smart phone. I'd give up ham radio first. To each their own.

W4KVW likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't worry about it either. I work nights and sleep days and am ALWAYS home in the day, and I too have a dog that raises mortal hell when anyone comes into the yard. And he's half pit bull (super sweet dog actually, but sure SOUNDS like he's hungry and they're lunch when someone comes in the yard, until he sees they're ok by me) AND the whole neighborhood has seen me walking him while open carrying a 9mm or .38 back when a rescued fighting dog kept getting out of its fence and attacking neighborhood dogs (open carry is legal in GA with carry license - I don't open carry "out" in public but for walking my dog down the street I have many times) and of course they see my biker buddies come over to go riding with me, many of whom look way more...dubious than I do so... the good neighbors, which are all the ones really close to my house, know me, and the rest think I'm a little or a lot unhinged. Sometimes that kind of rep is useful. :D

I did change to pepper spray because it wasn't that poor dog's fault :( . She had no human aggression at all but had been taught by some scumbag to attack other dogs, but that's an entirely different story. Thankfully a neighborhood search turned up the owner, and he either rehomed the dog or fixed his fence. Haven't seen it in two years now.

4. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

NOPE,no touch screen for any functions on the ICOM 7600.It uses real buttons & knobs just like I like them.Touch screens & a radio in a box with no knobs,buttons or a color screen with a band scope all in one box (SDR) is of ZERO interest to me.I don't see the attraction to such things but somebody must think it's cool or something just Not me?

Clayton
    W4KVW

W4HM likes this.
  5. W4JF

W4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

Me neither. Icom milked the 7300 for as long as they could. I am seeing more and more of them in the used market. Tiny box, too tiny for most. Rigs like the new 7610 appeal more to diddlers and appliance operators imo. Will be interesting to see what is next from Kenwood. Flex figured out the knob thing, and the knob thing ain't going away any time soon. 73, Joe W4JF

6. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i love georgia! :)

still waiting on my 7610... come on HRO!

7. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be interesting to KNOW how "FLEX" is doing SALES WISE as COMPARED to "ELECRAFT" in respect to the (KNOB QUESTION)!!! I AGREE with most of the postings out here concerning "KNOBS & BUTTONS" rather than the "COOL BLACK BOXES" controlled via a crappy "MICKEY M O U S E:)"!!! I like the tactile feeling of BEING IN CONTROL of my rig!!! Like what had been mentioned here also even "FLEX" had to say "UNCLE" by virtue of their incorporating the (MAESTRO CONTROLLER) on their latest RIGS!!!

8. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The first "knobless" rig was the Ten-Tec Pegasus, and they sold a few of them. When they added a front panel with knobs and called it the Jupiter, it became their best selling rig of all time. Flex added a front panel to their knobless rigs (which are really computer peripherals) to increase sales, but nieither Elecraft nor anyone else has removed the panel and knobs from any of their existing equipment.

9. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HIYA FRED !!! Hey, thanks for the COOL run-down on the ICOM-7610, AS IT'S A REAL COOL RADIO!!! But I'd also say honestly that the people @ ICOM used the introduction of the IC-7300 as a "TEASER" to all of us to SET THE STAGE (so to speak) for their AWESOME "7610"!!! Obviously ICOM accomplished THAT,
    BUT I'M STILL A "ELECRAFT K3S" KINDA GUY!!! :)

10. KC1CWF

KC1CWF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Chip,

You can get a stereo out. Also separate audio jacks out on the back if you want two different speakers. Yes, there is a single button to "track" both VFOs, one can do RX diversity and the like.