Data modes help for the Xiegu G90

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, May 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. 4X1ST

4X1ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I've had a G90 for exactly a year.

The first one developed a display fault after a couple of months, and the vendor promptly took care of getting me a new rig.

It was my sole rig for about 6 months during which time I had a lot of fun with it. 20W goes a long way, and the receive is quite impressive too.

Since I got a 7300 I use the Xiegu less, mostly for outdoors stuff now. It acquits itself very well with pretty much whatever antenna I connect to it. It's a rig you can sling in a bag with a battery and a length of wire - and just get out there and make QSOs.

There've been a few firmware updates that have ironed out a lot of the weirdnesses - it does now have RIT and RF gain, the AGC and noise blanker work tolerably well.

I think it's well worth the financial outlay. And I'd sure miss it if I didn't have it.

KC1OCA, W4JHU, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  2. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave up trying to get the G-90 to work digital and I tried several different methods including an expensive interface from England. With digital being one of the predominate modes on the ham bands I would have expected more effort being put into it from the manufacturer. Shortly afterwards I bought a IC-7300 and what an example that radio is. Built in sound card and plug and play with one USB cable. That's the kind of thinking that was missing with the G-90. Thankfully someone finally came out with a mobile bracket for the G-90 and it is still a great portable/emergency radio so I will likely keep it. Sure you can probably get it on digital with more effort but there is no plug and play solution.

KC1UA and K7JOE like this.
  3. K7JOE

K7JOE Subscriber QRZ Page

How to say Xiegu...

Phonetically: She (as in the Chinese premier's name) Goo

there is no Zie or Zei. no Zed sound at all. It's an SH sound.

It's She...(just like what you call her, opposite of he for those pronoun conflicted)
    Gu, or Goo....

4X1ST likes this.
  4. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the excellent videos, as always.

I ordered a G90 today. :)

4X1ST likes this.
  5. KC1UA

KC1UA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not normally one to dredge up an old thread, but in this case I'm doing so out of sheer frustration. Julian, your video makes the VOX configuration look so easy. What is the secret? The video spells it out quite nicely, but damned if I can make it work. I've used the CE-19 interface and now one of the XGGComms interfaces. With the CE-19 I tried numerous sound cards all with the same result; some level of receive from poor to excellent, but absolutely no power out unless I'm using CAT....and using CAT is fleeting. The only place I can reliably work FT8 is on 40 meters when using CAT. So, my goal is to just use VOX, and as your video suggests I am quite capable of changing bands by hand! Where can I find the magic pixiedust that makes this work? Help...I have no hair left to tear out of my head!

Scott/KC1UA

6. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Scott, I have the G90 working with CAT for digital modes using the CE-19 adapter and the included CAT cable. That the CE-19 is breakout board, and doesn't have separate tx and rx ports, but rather has a combined 1/8 stereo for in and out is a little strange (I made a cable to split it). I have not tried the VOX on the G90. I'm far from an expert, but if you send me an email maybe I could help trouble shoot. -David