Dashcam RFI

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N0XVZ, Jul 18, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0XVZ

N0XVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would try something like that if I still thought it was the power converter. Even with the converter disconnected, I still get RFI. That's what leads me to think it's the camera itself.

2. K3EO

K3EO Ham Member QRZ Page

With the exception of the camera lens opening can you wrap the camera case in aluminum foil, aluminum tape, HVAC tape or copper tape? This would be an inexpensive shielding test to try out.

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to clarify, most of these dash cams have a small internal battery to keep the camera filming briefly in the event of a crash / loss of power, or if you enable the bump sensing for parking lot incidents. They are typically powered / charged by a cigarette lighter to USB adapter and a standard USB cable, although some have an optional hard-wired power cable.

4. N0XVZ

Yep. Even on battery, I'm still getting RFI from the camera.

I'm going to try that this weekend. If it works, I'm not sure what that means for me. I don't see keeping the camera shielded with aluminum foil as a long-term option.

Another quick test today. With the camera on, disconnecting the antenna eliminated the RFI. So, I might try some Mix 43 ferrite chokes. Maybe I'll get lucky and that will work well enough. I'd settle of lowering the noise floor from where it is now.

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

By chance, are you using a mag-mount antenna? Those tend to be more prone to RFI from the vehicle and external devices.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I went through three dashcams till I found one that didn't make noise. Went to look it up and its no long manufactured. I have to replace it it will probably be another chore like the last time.
    What I do know is later I added a rig runner to power other devices in the vehicle and never had a noise issue from it. Never got round to powering the dashcam with it as I had found a quiet one but that might be a shot in the dark for you.

7. N0XVZ

No mag mount. It's an aluminum-bodied vehicle, so I did a proper antenna install.

I would try something like that if I still thought it was the power converter. Even with the converter disconnected, I still get RFI. That's what leads me to think it's the camera itself.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to try a different record resolution, See if that makes any different.

A different type of SD card may make a difference also.

[​IMG]

9. N0XVZ

Interesting. Changing the resolution didn't seem to have any effect. I hadn't thought to change the SD card, so I tried that. The RF floor might be a little lower but RFI still breaks through the squelch. While I was adjusting the resolution, I had the dashcam close to the control head for the radio but didn't have any problem with RFI. Seems to occur where I have it mounted on the glass. We'll see how this performs for a while.

Otherwise, I think my next step is to get some ferrite chokes for the coax and maybe the cable into the control head. I've been doing a lot of reading on those lately, but still don't have a firm understanding of what I might need. I really do appreciate the feedback here so far!

10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick answer if you want ferrites that work go to Palomar engineers. Most of the stuff I found from other sources was hit or miss.