Daring Millennials Hack into Free TV

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Sep 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to mix up soy-based biodegradable solvents and micropolish my elements using locally sourced wool-substitute (edible bamboo). Afterward I rinse the wool-substitute with artesian water from a local communal well. The wool-substitute is then given to parents who home-school to be used as wadding in explosives during "arts and crafts". Someday when CNN gives the signal we will use the explosives to drive out intolerance and bigotry once and for all.

Peace.

KE5OFJ, K5TRI and K5GTI like this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Once, back in the mid 1960s, I was in London and decided to take a tour of Petticoat Lane. One shabbily dressed vendor was selling a "miracle antenna" that he said would pick up all the radio and TV channels better than any normal antenna. The thing looked like the condenser used with the ignition points in pre-electronic ignition cars, with about a 12" wire lead glued on to the metal case with some kind of greyish adhesive that clearly wasn't solder. There was another short with a spade lug lead coming out of the end of the thing, obviously attached to the thing at the factory, which he said was for the owner to connect to a water pipe ground "for emergency" in case it didn't work with just the other wire connected to the radio. He demonstrated it with a vintage wood-cabinet table radio tuned in to the local BBC station; with a 10' piece of wire strung up in his vendor booth for an antenna, the signal was barely audible through the noise, but when he replaced the wire with nothing else connected to antenna terminal of the receiver but his "miracle" gadget, the signal came through loud and clear. Don't know how he did it, but his demonstration was convincing enough that people queued up to pay his asking price of a few quid to take the worthless p.o.s. home.

I was tempted to pull him aside and tell him I knew it was a gimmick but that it was a clever trick and I was curious how he made it work, but on second thought I decided it was best to let him be. I suspect he had a hidden connection somewhere to another real antenna, maybe the radio's built-in loop, that he was able to discreetly connect and disconnect without people noticing.

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had simple rabbit ears up 20 feet on a bamboo pole for years now. I get 145 digital channels over the air for free.

Rabbit_Ears.jpg TV-Balun.jpg

W7JZE, W7UUU and WZ7U like this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you from Oregon? :p

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a tv mount antenna.

Is the TV 20 feet on a bamboo pole too ? :rolleyes:

N6QIC likes this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you make that up or is it from an episode of Portlandia?

7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i wish it was easier to 'cut the cord' - i'd use streaming services if it didnt have to be associated with an existing cable account. You used to be able to stream AMC, FX, History, Discovery,etc. using something like a ROKU device... but not anymore, you have to have a cable account now to use them...

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

A true story - you may remember the source.....

After WW2, a ham in a small town started a radio repair/sales business. He had a small storefront shop downtown, in the middle of a row of stores.

Most of his customers were farmers and their families. Radio was more than entertainment to them; they really needed to know the weather, crop prices, upcoming events, etc.

Many of the radios brought in for service had built-in loop antennas. After they were fixed, the customers invariably wanted to turn them on and listen to them in the shop, before they took them home, to see how well they received their favorite stations.

The radio shop was in a row of buildings that had structural steel and a lot of wiring and plumbing, so reception with an indoor loop antenna was rather poor. This was particularly true at midday, with all the neighboring stores and their noisemaking electrical devices going.

So....

The ham/proprietor put up a long-wire antenna from the roof of his store building to an adjoining building (with permission and good safety practices) and brought the lead-in (remember lead-ins?) down to the front counter - inconspicuously.

He then got a piece of Masonite and wound an enormous pancake coil/loop of insulated wire on it, secured by some means (glue? small bits of string?). This pancake coil - over 2 feet in diameter, with many close-spaced turns - was mounted directly under the wooden countertop of the front counter.

One end of the coil went to the lead-in wire, the other to a good earth ground (cold-water pipe in the basement). A convenient AC outlet was already available on the countertop.

So, when a customer came in to pick up a repaired radio, or wanted a demonstration of a radio for sale, the proprietor would put the radio in question on the countertop, plug it in, and turn it on. The radio would have excellent reception because it was inductively coupled to the pancake coil/loop and its huge signal from the outdoor antenna.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KD8ZMN, KB2FCV, K5URU and 2 others like this.
  9. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Organic, free-range, gluten-free log periodics made from sustainable recycled aluminum and oxygen-free copper.

WB4WHJ, W4IOA and N0NB like this.
  10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one up 110' foot. Picked up all the local station real well.

Actually;
    used to provide TV in the break room at work. Downtown Phila, 10th floor, rabbit ears tapped to a window that had line of site to Roxborough antenna farm, we could see the towers from that window. 75 ohm in the ceiling across the office to the TV. Excellent signal.

N6QIC likes this.