Dangerous with Computers - Help with simple question?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N4MU, May 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I know enough to be dangerous. I am presently fooling around with remote (CAT) rig control. Got the FT-991A working great via USB/USB. I want to do a similar thing with the FT-450D. That will be RS-232/USB. I have a 232/USB converter (D9 to USB) and it is supposed to be the good type (FDHI...FHDI>>>??? you know...NOT the Prolific). My question (and I do have one) is: I received a "Driver" DVD (the mini ones) with the converter. It says nothing except "Driver". Do I need this on the computer (the converter actually will be plugged in to the FT450 serial port)...or can I ignore any additional driver requirement? I wasn't aware that any driver had to be installed for the converter to function. Whew...Thanks!

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just plug converter into the PC and let your operating system find the driver and load it. You should not have to do anything other than tell your software what com port is being used for the DONGLE. You will find that in Device Manager. Easy to find, open Device Manager, plug in your device and it will be the device that pops up in COM/PORTS.

To do it completely manually GOOGLE is your friend. You can find a video even a Broadcast Engineer can do. :) Here is an example:

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean treat the converter the same as any other device that I've added...for at least the last five or ten years? Duhhh! I was thinking that maybe the included disk was a "magical driver" or something. Thanks for the tip! And yes, a broadcast engineer typically does know that...but you must remember, I'm a RETIRED Bcst Eng and am therefore not required to know (or remember) anything! You are a gentleman and a scholar! As evidenced by your by-line. Seriously: Thank you. (BTW: this does NOT qualify for the marijuana cigarette or cookies promised otherwise)

4. KF5LJW

Plug and play should find it. If not, it should ask you where to look for it like the Internet or on your Putter. Just select your putter and whatever drive or file you put it in. USB to Serial converters are pretty common and use universal code. Lot of telecom folks use them on older transport equipment that still have RS-232 Craft Ports for Operations and Maintenance.RS-232 is pretty much antiquated today, so hang on to your Dongle Converter as that stuff is fast disappearing. RS-232 has burned up a lot of equipment.

You are more than welcome. Enjoy the new toy.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10 may Black List it before you get to use it. :eek:

I never let Windows find the best driver online. That is one problem with auto updates for your hardware drivers.

I can find the correct driver myself. Like the one on the disk that correctly matches the hardware in hand.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  6. KF5LJW

That is why I gave him a link to manual install.

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you gentlemen. Will be a few days before I go for it but I am much more confident that...one way ot another...I'll get it to work. Appreciate all comments/suggestions!