Damaged US Tower TX455

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K6FW, Jun 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K6FW

K6FW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 30 year old US Tower that came down in a wind storm. The tower failed about one foot above the base. The tower is retracted and laying in the back yard. The tower is located 40 miles east of Los Angeles. I am looking for ideas on how to dispose of the tower. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you, Frank K6FW

2. K9SPY

K9SPY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you just want to "dispose" of it, any town has scrappers that would love to "help you out". They'll take it to recycler for the scrap $. You should not pay a cent, but you should not expect to get a cent either. Post to Craigslist in your area and/or Facebook market and you should get flooded with requests to take the job.

3. KK4YIV

KK4YIV Ham Member QRZ Page

Put it at the end of your driveway with a "FREE" sign on it. It will be gone in no time.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pity about that, and a failure one foot above the base is so unusual I've never seen or heard about that before, ever.

The base section is extremely strong; usually something like a TX-455 would fail with the uppermost section bending since it's the thinnest and lightest.

Anyway...if it were me (and it's not), I'd have a local welder cut off the bottom foot or whatever, leaving the rest of the tower intact, then grind off the galvanizing and weld on new "feet" for the tower, then use it again, a foot shorter.:) That would probably cost $300-$400 or so, but a lot cheaper than a new tower.

WA8FOZ and K8PG like this.
  5. WB2WIK

Only if someone has a forklift.

The tower weighs about 600 lbs...

6. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd bet you could call that welding and fabrication shop up on Chino Ave, and they could fix it, it's called Lueten's, between Mountain and Benson.

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe.

But put a note on it that says something like "Fred - here it is. You can give me the c-note when you see me next" and it will disappear even faster.

8. WB2WIK

Sign:

"If you can lift this and carry it away, leave your name and number and I'm entering you in the Olympic weightlifting competition -- you have a chance for the gold."

9. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

30-years old? Corrosion from the inside out? If this wasn't in SoCal, I'd suspect a freeze split caused by a plugged weep-hole or three.