Dallas Area HF Radio "Restorers" Network

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5FRH, Apr 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K5FRH

K5FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to network with hams in the greater Dallas-Fort Worth area who enjoy restoring and using vintage HF gear. My collection is growing - several Heathkits, Yaesus, Hallicrafters - and I intend to keep growing with Swans, Drake and Collins. I have a well-stocked test bench, but am somewhat rusty on point-to-point troubleshooting - therefore I would like to occasionally network with hams in the DFW area who also enjoy restoring and using older tube and hybrid gear. My contact info is current here on QRZ. Thanks. Rod, K5FRH, Irving, Texas.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K9STH is in that area and maybe already a member, but if not, contact him!

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is not such an organization that I know of in the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex. There is an active vintage / antique radio collectors organization, the Vintage Radio and Phonograph Society, a national organization of which the founding chapter meets monthly. However, that organization has no real connection to amateur radio. I was a charter member of this organization dating back to the mid 1970s.

Every so often, I am asked, by various local amateur radio clubs, to give a presentation on "boat anchors". I do have such a presentation using PowerPoint in addition to my lightning / grounding presentation. I usually bring along some relatively small units in addition to the computer program. Frankly, I am getting a bit too old to haul around things like a Heath DX-100, Hallicrafters SX-42, etc. As such, things like a Hallicrafters S-107, Heath AR-2, AR-3, DX-20, Conar 400, and so on, are what I bring for "show and tell".

Glen, K9STH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

C'mon, Glen.

Stack an SX-28 atop a Valiant and carry them together to save time. Even better if you stack those two on top of a Thunderbolt.:)

I actually knew a young ham who could do that, back in about 1970. Don, WB2UQT. Of course, at that time he was about 18, and big and strong as a horse. He was also a local friend of mine.

"We" (several of us, in a multiop group) operated a June VHF QSO Party from the top (flat top, huge) of a water tower in NNJ and the rigs then were heavy. I asked Don to carry my Johnson 6n2 Thunderbolt to the top of the tower, it was 144 steps (I'll never forget) to climb the 80 foot tall tower. He lifted it up and carried it to the top, then asked what we needed next.:p

The generators were at the bottom of the tower, and we had 100' very heavy (home-made, #10AWG copper) extension cords carrying 240V to the top. The damned cables weighed about 50 lbs each, and we had three of them. "Don, can you carry these up?" He did.

Youth is wasted on the young.

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WIK:

I could always stack a DX-100 on top of a Globe Champion 350A and a Hallicrafters HT-20!

In high school, and in college, I could carry my DX-100 up stairs without any problem and I was a skinny runt weighing about 120-pounds and 5'10" tall. My high school track coach had a winter fitness program that involved lifting weights as well as running like 5-miles every day. The shot-putters made fun of us milers in the weight room but we got even on the 5-mile runs!

This coach took over head coach my sophomore year. That year, we took 3rd place in the State of Indiana behind 2-all black schools from East Chicago and Gary. The coach was selected as the "coach of the year" because of what he had done with the track program.

Actually, I can still get the heavier "boat anchors" from the floor to the workbench (barely!). However, I use a "two wheeler" (southern slang for a hand cart / hand truck) to move things around. Much easier! Not all that bad for a 165-pound, 5'10", 3-score and 15 year old person!

Glen, K9STH