D-STAR with computer and sound card?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KV4LQ, Sep 11, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do you use D-STAR?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KV4LQ

KV4LQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know of a way to use my Kenwood TS-2000X which I have connected via the 1200 baud packet port (can swap to the 9600 baud port if needed) to my computer's sound card to operate D-STAR? I'd like to be able to use 100% software, no hardware codecs.

2. AB2M

AB2M Ham Member QRZ Page

No. The codec is patented, and is only available in chip form. A DV Dongle is your best bet.

73, Joe AB2M

3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

The April 2015 QST had an article on page 30 which explains the various differences in modulation and codecs for commonly used digital communications, including DStar. As the other guy said, you would find it far easier on yourself to look at purchasing either a DV dongle or a full radio, eg. model 5100. Since the Icom radio in question will produce regular DTMF codes, you could also use the new radio for most 'SkyCommand'(TM or R) functions ( remote control ) of your TS-2000. 73 de KB0MNM

W4RAV likes this.
  4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a cheap way to at least monitor D-STAR and other digital voice schemes. A $25 RTLSDR dongle and a couple pieces of free software and you can do this:

D-STAR:

P25:

DMR:

Google is your friend, but here's a good place to start:
    http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-scanner-tutorial-decoding-digital-voice-p25-with-dsd

That site has other great info. They also offer a cheap version of the dongle with some nice features. And it won't take you months to get.

PS, it might also be used as a pan-adapter for your Kenwood. I know some radios can.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    KF5RRF likes this.
  5. KV4LQ

I've got an SDR dongle already, but my copy of SDR# doesn't have an RTL-SDR option, and I can't seem to find one that does.

6. KU7PDX

KU7PDX Ham Member QRZ Page

To be specific, only the voice codec is patent encumbered. The protocol is open source and the DVSI chip isn't necessary to do pure data on D-STAR.

W4RAV likes this.
  7. KV4LQ

So is there a dongle that's just the chip on a USB stick? And if so, how much is it?

8. KU7PDX

KU7PDX Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KV4LQ

So how much is this thing, and why does it say it requires internet (which I don't have in my shack)?

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ThumbDV and DV3000 are primarily used to convert analog PC audio to digital voice for use on a computer.
    The ThumbDV can also plug directly into a Flex6000 series radio, and add DSTAR capability to that radio. Otherwise,
    you use these devices or the DVDongle through a computer to the Internet. The DVDongle is $183 at HRO. I see that the
    company who makes it also has a USB dongle for $149. The ThumbDV is $119, but it looks a lot more involved to set it up.

There are Dstar boards that can be added to analog radios that are 9600 baud capable. These are typically used to build
    DSTAR repeaters or hotspots without any ICOM parts. I don't see any currently that will add DSTAR capability to an
    analog radio directly. Rather, you can use a DSTAR gateway board on an analog receiver to receive and transmit DSTAR
    signals to real DSTAR radios from the Internet.

http://www.k6jm.com/hs-setup.htm

If you google DSTAR Boards, you will find quite a few out there.

A DVAP Dongle is another device with a built in low power transceiver on it. I have one downstairs in my basement on an
    older Raspberry Pi, connected to the Internet. I can either use our local repeater or the DVAP to get to anything or anybody on the DSTAR net.

So far, a non-ICOM DSTAR radio has proven to be vaporware. I hope the Universal Data Radio or the HT from CSI will be the
    first that actually appears in hardware, but both projects are way behind projections. I expect to hear John Hays speak
    at the TAPR Conference in a couple weeks, so I hope there is good news about the project. I know we'll be hearing about
    several other new protocols that may someday prevail.