D-Star ONE, take three...

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by WD9EWK, Dec 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

We have another attempt at the D-Star ONE satellite in orbit, after a successful launch from Russia. There are some reports that the satellite's beacon may be active over North America this evening, and its parrot repeater may also be active.

This satellite does not have a normal repeater that simultaneously retransmits what it hears on its uplink. It is a "parrot" - recording on the uplink, and then transmitting what it heard on its downlink. For most radios capable of D-Star operations, this will mean a group of memory channels will need to be programmed. The memory channels will compensate for Doppler on both the uplink and downlink.

Assuming the nominal frequencies are as published - uplink on 437.325 MHz, downlink on 435.525 MHz - this chart can be used as a guide for programming the memory channels...

DStarONE_memory_channels-20181228.jpg

Make sure the frequencies are in D-Star mode, not FM. Radios will either need the downlink (RX) and uplink (TX) frequencies in each of the memory channels, or the downlink and offset size. Keep in mind that there will probably be points in each pass where these memories won't work, since most D-Star radios won't tune in steps smaller than 5 kHz.

Here's hoping the third time for D-Star ONE is successful...

73!

AI6DO, KA2CZU and K4BAD like this.
  2. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the detailed info.Patrick.Going to have to devote some time studying this...sure doesn’t seem intuitive

3. WD9EWK

The parrot repeater seems like a simple way to avoid working with two complete D-Star radios on the satellite. It's almost like they took a D-Star HT, added the parrot repeater (sometimes called a "simplex repeater", except D-Star ONE uses separate transmit and receive frequencies in the 70cm band), and that's their D-Star repeater. There is some information on the D-Star ONE web site on how the satellite will operate, but still not a lot of details.

73!

KA2CZU and K4BAD like this.
  4. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like the next area that we need to consider is “best”radio to use for this sat....maybe take a look at ICOM mobile rigs,the new Kenwood D-Star HT,the new ,forthcoming ICOM 9700,etc.

5. WD9EWK

I think the IC-9100 with the D-Star module might be the best option for this satellite, since that radio can tune in smaller than 5 kHz steps. Don't know about the IC-9700 yet, but that question for will be answered when the IC-9700 materializes on the market. The other Icom D-Star radios (HTs and mobiles), along with the Kenwood TH-D74, have the limitation on the tuning step size being no smaller than 5 kHz for FM or D-Star.

73!

KB1PVH and W5PFG like this.
  6. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

SatNogs observations are confirming that it's doing something - but all of the observations I've looked at resembled short burst transmissions like APRS or telemetry. Interested to see how much Tx time is actually required for a qso (I've got no experience whatsoever on digital voice modes).

K4BAD likes this.
  7. KP4AJ

KP4AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All:

Looking forward to make contact with DP1GOS. Better be able to use as repeater. Setting my ICOM 4100 I have this question, How I setup DSTAR-ONE different channels using same callsign (DP1GOS). The ICOM program is not allowing to configure the repeater with same callsign (although different frequencies).

Any software available to track the cube position?

Thanks!

73'

Edfel
    KP4AJ

Attached Files:

8. WD9EWK

Since the satellite won't be a normal D-Star repeater, can you program those memory channels with CQCQCQ instead of a call sign? Or with the DP1GOS call sign, but not specifying a gateway? I have a Kenwood TH-D74 HT, but haven't tried programming its memories yet. I'm not in a hurry to do that. This is something that the D-Star ONE group could elaborate on, once they make the repeater open for use.

73!

9. KP4AJ

As per DSTAR status

Here is a screenshot from website in Japan:

http://wakky.asablo.jp/blog/2018/12/29/9018461

Both DSTAR cubes seems to be working and status is ACTIVE. D-STAR One Sparrow is the one to be dedicated to Amateur Radio.

This is important as second attempt (Phoenix) never achieved ACTIVE status. Let's hope everything goes good this time. So far so good.

73'

Edfel
    KP4AJ

Attached Files:

10. KP4AJ