D-Star Newbie woes/Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W0KDT, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Long story short, I have an Icom ID51a Plus2 and have been trying to figure out D-Star using the HT and a discone on my roof.

I am at the point where I can hit three of the local repeaters and get an acknowledgement consisting of their call signs and frequency (B/C). But that's it. Other commands that I try produce only the same response, including selecting a reflector. Echo doesn't work.

My call sign doesn't show up on dstarusers.org, but none of the three repeaters I hit show any significant number of other call signs either. Two of them show no call signs at all and IIRC the third shows two stations in the past 2 weeks.

So, am I hitting three zombies? (W0ANA, KD0JOU, W0YC) It seems unlikely. Any suggestions? Anyone?

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Have to ask, did you register with a D-Star gateway and get confirmation that your call is registered?

3. W0KDT

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you hear any of the repeaters announce that they are connected to REF 53A? That's the MN statewide network. I work lots of people there, but I don't know which repeaters in the Twin Cities are connected.

5. W0KDT

Announce verbally? When I hit any of the three repeaters all I get is a beep plis the call letters plus the B or C frequency designator on the display. I hear nothing else. I also get the same thing when I ask for Repeater Status or ask to connect to REF0053A.