ad: k1jek

D-STAR module registration - what does the "AccessPoint" checkbox mean

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by K6EEN, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have System Fusion radios but have recently started operating cross-mode Fusion<->D-STAR with an OpenSpot3. I have a question on the D-STAR registration page. What does the "AccessPoint" checkbox do on the D-STAR registration page for an individual callsign's "Initials" or "modules"?

Screen shot below. This is the suggested configuration from the D-STAR Gateway System (REGIST). They recommend registering the "space" module and a module "Z" with the AccessPoint box checked on only the "Z" module.

Thanks & 73,

[​IMG]

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

AFAIK that only matters if you have a radio that is capable of serving as an AP (Icom 4100, 51a Plus2). It doesn't hurt to have it in any case but the first entry is the important one.

3. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, so it is an Icom hardware specific feature, where you can use one Icom radio connected to the internet as a "mini personal repeater gateway" to access D-STAR callsign routing features from a second Icom radio. An example would be an internet-connected base radio in your home with an external antenna serving as an "Access Point" for your HT as you walk around outside. I guess this offers some explanation:

http://www.mdarc.org/activities/repeaters/dstar/terminal-accesspoint

Yaesu has a similar concept, a "digital node station" for Wires-X, which can be an internet-connected Yaesu radio in your home. But you can use a "digital node station" to connect to reflectors, whereas Icom's "Access Point" only seems to do callsign routing.

So "Access Point" is not the same as "hotspot", and I take it the AP checkbox on the D-STAR registration page should not be checked for a non-Icom hotspot devices.

4. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

That is correct. Only for Icom radios that are capable of the "Terminal" or "Access Point" mode.