D-Star. Is it worth is?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7ND, Feb 21, 2012.

?

Is D-Star upgradeability worth it?

1. Yes, it is worth it

17 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. No, save your money

40 vote(s)
    70.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You could be right - the two systems I'm comparing are VHF vs. UHF, and UHF does work better for penetrating buildings. However, we had an analog UHF machine at about the same height as the current DSTAR one, and the DSTAR machine seems to greatly outperform the higher powered analog repeater it replaced. Unfortunately, the two repeater sites are a couple miles apart, so a direct comparison isn't possible. On the fringes of the coverage area, the DSTAR repeater does work better than the analog VHF repeater on the same site, which is also a fairly new, higher powered unit. Others on here claim that replacing their analog repeaters with DSTAR resulted in reduced coverage - and we certainly haven't experienced that here.

As for the signal suddenly dropping off a cliff - that's true, but I find that the DSTAR is solid, and very quiet in places where the scratchy analog signal is marginal at best. Picket fencing is a disaster for DSTAR, though - I'd much rather be listening to a weak analog signal than the 'R2D2' noise. Some people find the R2D2 noise very objectionable. I really don't, but I put up with a lot of stuff that others don't.

I'm sorry to say that I took my DSTAR rig with me on my last trip out west, but didn't even turn it on while I was there. I had plenty to keep me busy on analog radio.

With all the brilliance that's gone into people building their own DSTAR hotspots, I'm surprised that we haven't seen anyone come up with a way to bridge from an analog system into DSTAR, at least not that I've seen.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you come to southern CA, check out the PAPA system on 440 MHz. Lots of sites, and half of them have both D-STAR and analog co-located running similar power and antennas, so it's easy to make a direct comparison.

The system is supported by membership, but you don't have to be a member to use it.

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve,

I can say without hesitation, 900 mhz has fabulous structure penetration. The first time I was on 900mhz was with an HT in my car. Unlike 2 meter or 70cm, using the 33cm HT in the car was amazing. It was like the car was not there or was made of glass.

K2WH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Cellphones work well in cars, too. One reason that "mobile cellular phones" (of the hardwired variety) have almost completely disappeared, because the hand held portable ones work about as well.

5. G8KHS

G8KHS Ham Member QRZ Page

DV Dongle sale lost

I was going to buy a DV Dongle so I could contact my friends abroad when conditions are poor.
    On finding out that you have to register with your local Dstar repeater in the UK, the money stayed in my bank account.

The political situation on the Dstar network in this country is a sick joke, say or do the smallest wrong thing and you get barred..!

If there was a way I could register on a worldwide central hub then that would be great, but until then I'm staying well away from any Dstar equipment.

73 - John - G8KHS

6. VE3LDJ

VE3LDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the XRF reflectors does that. It's very cool checking into the 2m FM net via d-star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.