ad: chuckmartin

D-STAR illegal in France

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE7VZW

KE7VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

nothing proprietary is the future of ham radio

2. WX7CAR

WX7CAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Back to basics?

The biggest thing I always loved about radio is the ability to operate when other means of communication fail. (Internet, cellular, land line, etc.)

IMHO, making radio dependent on the technology it was meant to rise above in an emergency, is really shooting yourself in the foot!

D* would really be useful in a tornado, flood, hurricane, etc. stricken area. Uh huh.

3. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Mais c'est ne pas un vocodeur japonais , c'est un vocodeur Americain!!!:D:D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  4. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny. The internet worked fine for me during Katrina. As for the majority of the planet earth as well.

In fact, several companies still had internet connections there. Some horror stories about being stuck in the data center, keeping them online still abound in IT circles. And of course, they still had internet there. Spotty, but it was there.

5. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is worthless should be deleted all the non- D-Star guys bitching about Icom and a new mode.

But then look at the country from where this thread was started about and maybe you should all move there if you like there radio laws so well, oh yeh and there policies.

6. W2KG

W2KG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Respect French SOVEREIGNTY

Absolutely CORRECT! How would we receive another country's citizens meddling in our government's decisions? We should respect France's sovereignty. :mad:

Besides, if one is worried about D*'s future, you can bet that Icom is already lobbying away in France and at the European Parliament. :rolleyes:

7. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My computer runs off my generator, solar, or its own batteries. So although my rig is often, but not always, connected to my computer for rig control, I am confident that it can still operate when a disaster strikes. The weakness in these "modes" is not the computer, it's the reliance on networking, particularly internet. Computers have been portable for nearly 30 years.

I agree, however, with the concentration of work by radio amateurs on internet-backed communication. Disaster, when it happens, must be assumed to take out internet. I'm pretty sure there was no internet (or extremely limited) in New Orleans, Haiti, or the earthquake-struck part of Chile, so all that internet work that has done by amateur radio was for naught there.

D-star, in its defence, does have one advantage: a D-star repeater can carry multiple radio-to-radio communications simultaneously without the necessary formal net structure of a conventional repeater. However, echolink, D-Star "DX", IRLP and so forth are merely toys for peace-time (not the right word, I suppose but you know what I mean) operations.

It's startling how few amateurs actually understand that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is a miserable failure if your communications system depends on internet.

It is nearly impossible to take down the whole internet, but it's not especially difficult for natural forces to knock the internet down over a small to medium sized geographic area. When that happens, internet-based communications don't work, and that's a problem if radio amateurs are going to spend their efforts developing "amateur internet" instead of "amateur radio".

9. KC2UGV

D-star, while I pretty much only dislike the proprietary vocoder, does not depend on the internet. A D-star repeater can function perfectly fine without an internet connection.

10. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

So can an analog FM repeater..... which begs the question as to why you would replace a non-internet-connected analog repeater with a non-internet-connected D-Star repeater at 2-3 times the cost? :confused:

What is so "horrible" about analog FM that we need to replace it with a more cexpensive system like D-Star? I would think that in a disaster, you'd want as large of a pool of people as you can get. How many are going to have D-Star equipment versus how many are going to have analog FM?

"The more they over-take the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott, Star Trek III : The Search for Spock.

11. KC2UGV

While I pretty much agree with your post, I get quickly irritated when people create strawman arguments to attack something.

It's easier, and better, to use an argument like what you put forth; rather than trying to say that D-Star relies on the internet to function (Which it doesn't).

12. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like English...

13. KT8D

KT8D Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd sign that in a heartbeat.

14. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP has been pushing D-Star for several years now. Why? What is wrong with non-proprietary digital modes for those who wish to experiment with them? Hams have no real use for D-Star. The D-Star proprietary architecture is an idea which I feel is geared towards those who wish to promote the Emcomm side of things.

15. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

DStar repeaters do a lot more than connect to the internet. Y'all should actually look into what they are capable of doing. Ya might be surprised at what ya find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.