D-STAR illegal in France

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. DF1PAW

DF1PAW Ham Member QRZ Page

[x] done

I was the second one :)

2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks, Einstein was a very fascinating man! i only wish we had him here for help with DSTAR!

3. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo! :D

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

The rationale behind the French decision is sound. Our own FCC fails to respond where it should with respect to such non-public, esoteric modes.

France, though, is inconsistent in application of its policy. Why? Well, for one, Pactor III is not an open protocol. One can receive and transmit P3 only via purchase of a modem from SCS, gmbh.

So, is it that SCS pays off the French telecomm authorities or that Icom didn't pay enough?

In any case, to allow Pactor3 and not allow DStar is totally inconsistent.

5. EI4GMB

EI4GMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe, someday, imaginative and equitable solutions can be found to all our problems.
    EI4GMB

6. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Or we could sit down and find them. An old saying says "A problem is a problem just because it has a solution."

another saying says "a problem is a problem because there is uncertainty regarding the action to take"

as for the pactor, no problem,penetration of the mode is so shallow that it would be a waste of resources to having law makers bother.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it may be more the case that if you don't ask the question, you won't receive the answer that you can't do it.

8. EI4GMB

EI4GMB Ham Member QRZ Page

To quote John Lennon 'There's no problem only solutions'.
    EI4GMB

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. G8KHS

G8KHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Two of my favorite sayings are, If it ain't broke don't fix it and the ever popular KISS - Keep it simple stupid :)

10. G8KHS

G8KHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote:G8KHS
    PSK and WSPR type technologies are where we should be focusing our energies on, these are the modes with the highest potential to evolve. I'm stunned with the range of WSPR, what a fantastic mode.

Quote:SV9OFO
    But of course they are, when it comes to text communications. Wouldn't it be amazing to have similar range in *voice* communications? Or is it that all commercial systems go digital for no reason? Spectrum is a finite resource of which our obligation is to make the best use of.

Yes thanks for your agreement they are indeed excellent modes and yes that range would be stunning with voice.

Commercial systems imo go digital for the following reasons:

1. Security of signal content, police etc.
    2. Comms companies wanting to make more money selling off good and bad digital systems to fill their bank accounts.
    3. Governments who hear the word digital and equate it with big revenue from selling off spectrum space.

73 de G8KHS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.