D-Star/Echo Link/Fusion/DMR

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by M6MQN, Sep 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M6MQN

M6MQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys,
    I'm very new to radio and seen a guy in our club showing people how his d star DV mega hotspot worked but he's new to d star etc so couldn't answer all my questions.

I thought it was amazing as long as he had power to the hotspot weather it was wifi at home using his PC or teathing his mobile data plan to it he could talk world wide with ease don't get me wrong I want to work radio to radio etc but my plan at home is to pop up a 2/70 and a hf antenna, when the 2/70 is quite local or through the local repeater I'll go on the the hotspot but my question is...

D Stars expensive to start up so if I did a DMR/Echo link with a raspberry pi would it work the same ?? Could I use the DMR hotspot to talk to D Star guys ?? Or am I better of buying an icom and going down the d star route ??

I like the thought that when the bands local etc are quite I can just do d star/DMR and when we go walking/travelling with the caravan as long as I get signal I'll can operate with ease without worrying about no hitting the local repeater etc.

Any more info would be appreciated!!

73's
    M6MQN
    Josh

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This unit promises to provide the ability to use a DMR or DSTAR radio and use either network with the one radio. Later, they promise the ability to do FUSION and some other modes. http://wirelesshold.com/dv4home-2.aspx I don't see any indication of an availability date for this, which is a bit disappointing because they were earlier saying it would be available in the fall (but I guess they didn't say which year).

I don't think you would go far wrong with the DV4Mini in the meantime, but you will need a radio for each mode. I'd suggest DMR, since DMR HTs are the cheapest.

3. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the DV4mini and have used it on all four digital modes. I mostly use it on D-Star and P25. I want to try the Dvmega sometime to see if it works better. Some people have trouble with DMR not reliably working in the DV4mini though I got it to work here. I have had sporadic issues with not hearing some stations on D-Star while other on a net hear them fine. With each software update it seems to have less problems than in the past. There's a guy on Youtube running the DV4 software on a Dvmega. There must be a lot of similarity in the hardware.

You can talk to D-Star from DMR if you use a talkgroup that is bridged to a D-Star reflector. There are several of them. It will convert the DMR ID to a ham call on the other side and vice versa.

4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the newbie question about D-Star. My 'Elmer has a DV3K Dongle, and for kicks I got him a Baofeng UV-5R 2/440 handheld for his birthday.

Is there a way a HT (or any non D-Star rig) like this be used on the D-Star network? these be used on D-Star somehow going through the dongle?

If I have it right, to get on D-Star network one can do that direct, but needs a dongle (?), or one can do it through their rig if they are near a computer (?). I've used Echolink without a rig, and I've used it through repeaters on 2m also, but that seems entirely different. I presume that I could use any rig that can hit an Echolink repeater.HT on an Echolink-linked repeater, etc., but D-Star seems quite different.

5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

DV4mini and DVAP are digital access points for digital radios. They have no capability to convert digital to analog and vice versa. There is a product called DV Dongle that does have the DVSI vocoder chip in it and allows access to the digital networks without a radio. It is not an RF device.[/QUOTE]

6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, thanks, that makes sense now. :)

7. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got a DV4mini because in my location I can RX the DMR repater 30 mls away but I don't seem to be able to hit it with my CSi CS580.
    Thing is with the DV4mini I also sometimes hear exchanges but again I have not been able to talk to anyone yet.
    Think I'll stick to HF, VHF/UHF and C4FM cos DMR has been a complete waste of money so far.